shot the 1863 .50 sporter

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bill Goodman

shot the 1863 .50 sporter

Post by Bill Goodman »

I shot the 1863 .50 sporter yesterday. 43 shots from the bench. No hangfires, no misfires. Some lively recoil! Used the Lyman #515142 flat point and the heavy RCBS 50-515 flat nose. Only minor beginnings of binding at the end of 40 shots. Swabbed the bore between 5 shot strings. This gun weighs under 11 lbs (27" heavy half oct.). Best loads seemed to be with the Lyman and 80 grs. 1 1/2 Swiss (1.45" five shot 100 yards) and 80 grs. Swiss 2F (1.647"). Best with the RCBS was 80 grs. 2F Swiss (1.837"). The chamber will take about 100 grs. Any load would be a decent hunting load. Clean bore, first shot of the five shot group landed in the group- good to know for hunting. I wonder how either this rifle or the .38 Sporter would do with a heavier custom bullet... How bout a .45 caliber sporter. Look at the bullet selection! All bullets cast 1/30 and lubed with SPG. All breech seated with loose powder and RWS top hat caps. This is more fun than I should be allowed to have!
Jeff Bryan

50 cal.

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Funny you should write about shooting the 50 cal 1863 today, as I have been wondering the past week just what it would be like to shoot one. What a coincidence. I am beginning to wonder if this sport is telepathically addictive?!? If it is, then that is a great way for you to drum up business: just go out and shoot, think about how good it feels, and the orders start rolling in! I remember how you told me how you have three 50 caliber Shiloh's and I have been thinking that must be a kick to shoot the 1863. Have you cloverleafed it yet, or is it still in the making, because I am sure the rifles will do it.

Bill, what are the bullet weights of the bullets you shot? the RCBS is the one that weighs approx 545- 550 grains I think, and what about the other one?

Jeff
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Bill,
In your discussions, is Shiloh thinking about listing the '63 in 45 or 38 caliber for general sale?

Rich
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

I'm pretty sure they'd build the .38 and I assume the .45 and .40. Best to call and get a firm yes or no. I've often wondered what a 30" heavy (or bull) barrel 1863 No. 1 Sporter would be capable of using match quality slugs etc...
Todd Birch

re: "... lively recoil ..."

Post by Todd Birch »

Bill

I know what you mean about "lively recoil" from a '63 ....

My Shiloh .54 Sporter has a chamber that will easily digest 100 grs of powder behind that huge "Christmas Tree" ball.
I have to reduce it to 85 grs and had I got a moose draw, it would have been my rifle of choice.

I much prefer my Military carbine and rifle in .50 calibre with 55-60 grs.

Got a pal with a Farmingdale '63 carbine in .45. I damn near bought it until he told me that the clean out screw was fused in place due his poor cleaning.
Handling it was not impressive as it felt down right 'whippy' with a too light barrel contour. My .50s and the .54 are about ideal in that regard.

He is still trying to flog it, but at a ridiculous price.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

Todd, I had an early Farmingdale .54 sporter, 30" standard oct. barrel, pistol grip and military butt. It would hold 120 grs. 3F loose powder behind the X-mas tree slug. Yes, lively indeed! I'm hoping to hunt with the .38 perc. this season.
Todd Birch

Then & Now

Post by Todd Birch »

Bill

If the original big bore '59s '63s digested that much powder behind a ball, they were a tough lot of shooters indeed!
The Brits tested percussion carbines in .577, the same bore size as the Enfield rifle. The troops like them and they served in the Indian Mutiny.

I can readily believe the popularity of smaller bores until the big buffalo extermination was on.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

As most readers of this forum know, I'm at big gun shows constantly through the year. I check out all the perc. Sharps sporters I encounter, plus I have a few myself. I'd say most I see are .36 and .44 caliber. .50 caliber sporters are much less common. Given the proper weight slug for the intended game, I'd not feel undergunned with any of the calibers. A .38 cal. 250 grain or heavier slug (as used in the .38-55, .38-56 or .38-72 cartridges) ahead of 50-70 grs. powder will get the job done on most large game. We may feel undergunned, but those savvy hunters of the 1850s to the 1890s didn't. A .44 percussion gun similarly loaded would be simply more of a good thing.