Nipples

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
joey fletcher

Nipples

Post by joey fletcher »

Hello

As most have seen I have been having issues with my 1863 IAB Sharps.

I can not get the thing to fire.

I bought new nipples and tried yesterday to get it to fire again..

I bet I have had 30 + misfires...NOT one time has the gun fired

My Question is What is the inside diameter hole in the nipple for the 1863.

The new nipples I got was an 8x1 mm with a very small hole at the bottom. About the size of a number .5 mechanical pencil lead or apx. .008

Do you have to drill them out for differant size rifles??

Maybe this is my issue

Joey
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

The exit hole in my nipple is about .030". * The hole on the entrance end is about .110" I measured with wire gauge drills.

I still can't imagine your rifle not firing. There still has to be some obstruction in the breach block. As I said before, when I pop a cap without a load, I get an impressive amount of flame out the muzzle.

With the breach block out of the rifle can you run a wire all the way through the flash channel?

*Of course, I'm referring to the nipple on my rifle. :wink:
joey fletcher

Post by joey fletcher »

Hey Guy

No I can not run a wire through the breech block.

If I remove the nipple and the side screw everything is open.

Everything is on a 90* angle.

I drilled a .032 hole in the nipple, put it in, then put a rolled powder charge in the chamber

Went outside and used a .500 dowel stick to softly push the charge against the breech block. put a Dynamit Noble cap on the nipple and pulled the trigger

The cap went off..and NOTHING...Waited 30 seconds then opened the breech slowly I could see a hole 1/4 in diameter and about the same depth in the powder.

NOW my thought was I have been using bad power all this time, even though I just open it a few weeks ago.

I came back in the house and opened a brand new can of Goex FFg I got this week from Black Creek

Made me a paper load , 1 1/2 in. long 50% filler then 50% new black powder. I did the exact same thing as before.

Cap poped LOUD...completely flatten out.....and still did not fire off

@$$#**%^*())*^%%**&^%

any suggestions

I will make this dang thing fire ...Sooner that later
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

For S@!ts and Giggles. load bullet and lose power see if hat gose off. if it dose then it is in your paper cart. construction. you do not need filler and you do not need a full chamber. Also there can be no oil or liquids of any amount in the breech block. also you do not want to big of a hole in the nipple you need to keep the flame concentraded. also your clean out screw needs to end just at the small nipple. if not some of the flame will not make the last (0 deg turn.

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu194/cwtechy/
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
joey fletcher

fire

Post by joey fletcher »

How can I tell if the clean out screw is at the correct depth. I have ran it all the the way in tight and backed it out just incase it was suppose to have some type of washer between the head of the screw or a spacer. I just tried it with the screw as far out as it will go and still clear inside breech housing

and still no fire from the end of the barrel. Oh, and it is dark as pitch outside here now.

I sprayed the breech block with brake cleaner....no oil or grease

I have gotten gun shy with a bullet in the chamber, I just want it to make the powder burn a few times then I'll try with a round in it.

With ya'll help....I swear I will here this thing .....BOOM

Thanks again

Joey
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

The screw has to be just at the end of the center flash nipple in the breech block. Put a drill bit in the nipple and run the clean out screw up to it. ??? is this a new gun or used?? (don't remember if you said or not.)
I picked one up used had sim. problem. I had to replace the clean out screw that helped. It was to short.
Where are you located? I see you said Black Creek did you mean Back Creek in winchester VA. If so and not to far The N_ssa home range is right there. you may want to go on a weekend of a shoot and talk to some of the guys that shoot a sharps. My next trip there is not until the nationals in OCT.
I had diffrent problems w/ diffrent 59 and 63 sharps. I did and had a lot done to them to get them to work. I now have a Shiloh no problems.
hences the handle snap cap for awhile thats all the imports I had would do is snap caps.
Another good person to talk to Is charlie Hahn. You may catch him here or I know you can get him on the N-SSA BB.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
joey fletcher

fire

Post by joey fletcher »

Hey Guy

I live in Durham NC. I took your advise and bought 3 lbs of Goex from Black Creek. He is one nice guy. Yes you told me about him.

Myself and Missed Again have been talking on email. He has gone way out of his way to help me. I think we have found out some things about this 1863.

I started drilling out the exit hole in the new nipples I bought. The new nipples had a very small exit hole...apx. .008

I drilled it out to .032 the fire time after talking to Missed Again..Still no fire from the barrel.

Drill it out to .040.and just saw a small amount of fire from the barrel.

Thinking I may jump up to .050 and see what happends.

I have a new spare if it gets too big
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

one problem you may find if you go to big your accuary will suffer. and Or you may get hammer blow back. do not think you would want to go much over the .050".
Since you are talking direct w/ missed again. Do one step at a time. gather info and bounce the Ideas off him before you do them. one thing at a time.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Nick Florio

Ignition problems

Post by Nick Florio »

It sounds to me that you have a blockage in your breach block. If you are not getting much out you may need to clean the block. I would suggest that you take the nipple and clean out screw out of the block and soak the block in hot water for half and hour. Then use a pipe cleaner to swab out the flash channel. Run it in and out of the clean out hole and also through the exit hole in the face of the block. If it comes out very black or you can not push it through till you see the end through the nipple hole you need to use drill bits to open up the flash channel. Turn them by hand. Size it to be about the same diameter as the clean out screws shank. After cleaning out the flash channel run a clean pipe cleaner in with WD 40 on it to lube the channel and prevent rust. I had the same problem with a berdan sharps I have and had to really clean it out before I could get it to fire.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I use an alian key in place of a drill bit. Just because it dose not have a cutting edge like a drill
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA