OH YES

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
joey fletcher

OH YES

Post by joey fletcher »

:D

Well Guys

I am now the Proud owner of a FIRING!!! Sharps

5 of my home made bullets, cotton paper, filler and 50 grains of pyrodex, NOT ONE Misfire

:oops: I have to Thank All of you for getting this ignorant Ol' man through my issues with the 1863. Which I might add was 100% my ignorance.

As everyone TOLD me time and time again the breech block was blocked or restricted. The hole from the center nipple to the main nipple was 50% closed up with very hard carbon, rust, or some type of corrosion.

I was measuring the size holes to show with pictures of my breech block taken apart. I was using drill bits to measure with. I knew that the thread clean out hole was 4 mm. but the hole going to the bottom of the main nipple was starting out at apx. .050. as I was pushing it in and turning I saw some black stuff come out, then I tried a .053 and I forced it through.

I continued until I could not get a .100 bit to go. I used a dremal tool to work the drill bits, after the .053 bit by hand.

I must say special thanks to Mr. MissedAgain without him I would have given up.

Thanks to the moderator for deleting my other post, he stopped me from making a big mistake.

Mr Snap cap...I may have you beat...I know I have went through 100+ caps with a single fire :shock:

Again Many Thanks to all of you

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC

PS...I am going to burn some powder :D
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Yep I think you do. Wow now I do not feel all that bad. I would go 5-6 in a row with out a bang or even a cap going off. maybe 100 or so caps but not in a row. Frustrating to me but in timed team events the team was not very happy and I took a lot of should I tell you until I got it straightened out.
Well good luck let us know how your grouping gose w/ it.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
High Plains Shooter

Post by High Plains Shooter »

joey,

while I don't own or shoot a '63 I have been following your trials and tribulations

Congrats!!! to you and all those that helped.

Illegitumus non tatum carbrorundum

Translation: Don't let the bastards wear you down!