Original Slant Breech Sharps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bill Goodman

Original Slant Breech Sharps

Post by Bill Goodman »

Has anyone ever shot an original slant breech model 1852 or 1853? Does anyone know of anyone who has?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Also try the N-SSA Board you could find someone there.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
mike trahos

Post by mike trahos »

I have an origonal slant breech '53 in 40 cal. Correct sights---tang, barrel, and covered pin head front. Beautiful bore! The chamber takes 80 gr 3x. It functions flawlessly. Never in my perceptions has it leaked gas at the breech. I do not know the correct weight/ length bullet to use so I used a 330 gr. .410 gg. I have never sat down and tested for accuracy. I have been playing with a Shiloh carbine in .54. Charlie's tubes work well in it. Once I have a clue on the appropriate bullet for the '53--I am soliciting help--I'll see what I can do with some target work. Should the slant breech models be used with PP, or can the GG bullet work as well? Seems to me 80 gr is a stout load for this caliber, just never wanted to shoot BP with out a full chamber. I shoot just about anything BP, but am open to any suggestions.
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

I don't think any of these were made for PP bullets. I'd really llike to hear about the accuracy you get. I don't think air space is a problem. I shoot my Shilohs with all kinds of air space, in fact the most accurate loads are NOT the most full charges in the chambers (loose powder and breech seated bullets). The original owners of these guns in the 1850s raved about them.