Sporting Rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
BillyDixon

Sporting Rifle

Post by BillyDixon »

How many out there have a sporting rifle. I have a #3 Shiloh .54 caliber heavy barrel. I've had this rifle since 1982. What kind of loads do you use. Do you guys hunt with them or just shoot targets :)
Todd Birch

'63 Sporter

Post by Todd Birch »

Billy Dixon

What's a guy with a handle like that doin' messin' about with a paper Sharps?

I've got a Shiloh '63 Sporter in .54 with a 30" tapered octagonal barrel, straight grip stock, crescent butt, DST.
I've shot it comfortably with 85 grs FFg and either a "Xmas Tree" bullet or a Lee .54 HB Minie. All my Shiloh's wear a lace on leather butt pad from BA.
Haven't tried it with a patched RB, but don't see why it shouldn't shoot as well as a .54 muzzleloader.

Both shot well and it would make an excellent moose/buffalo rifle in my opinion at 100-125 yards max.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

As I've had such good results from my .38 and .50 Sporters, I'm trying to talk myself into a bull barrel No.1 in .40 caliber. Something like a 15-16 lb. bench/cross stick gun that'll take a 420 grain bullet and up to about 80-90 grains powder.
BillyDixon

sporting rifle

Post by BillyDixon »

I do have 2 50/90 1 with a 30" and 34" both heavy barrels. But I have alot of fun with the .54. I have a minie 54 mould and that shoots really well and a NEI mould. The NEI mould will cut clover leafs at 100 yards with about 90 grains of 2ff. I read somewhere that some shooters are using 1fg. Haven't tried that yet but do shoot it in the 50/90. :D
Todd Birch

1F in big bores

Post by Todd Birch »

Billy

Many .577 Snider shooters use 1F and like it. Seems the large volume case burns it effectively.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Bill Goodman,

I had a 1863 sporter fitted with a .45 caliber barrel (Total weight 16 pounds)with a 90 grain chamber years ago. It was a reliable shooter on 500 yard railroad iron! The only problem was it locked up after every shot and had to have a cup of water poured on the action just to open it. Yeah it worked but I sold it out of aggravation.

Marathonman
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

I have a bull barrel (15 Lbs) in .54 caliber that I bought from Bill a few years ago, and love the thing. True about making sure the block stays clean between firings or it WILL lock up! Like all of my guns, it shoots better than I do. Minimal recoil, even with 90 grains....you can shoot it all day and not feel it. Can't say I look forward to cleaning it though! :wink:

Bud
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal...