New to me '63 Shiloh carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rooster57

New to me '63 Shiloh carbine

Post by Rooster57 »

Ok, got a great deal on one and it's on the way, Can't hardly wait! So, just to clarify, these things generally shoot the best with a reduced powder charge, somewhere around 45 to 50gr from the research I have done here. I noticed some of you just use the reduced charge and don't use filler, you just leave the empty space in the chamber. I just want to check, this is a safe practice? Hate to blow myself up.....:wink:
Many thanks,
Mike in Iowa
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Mike,

When you get the rifle and pull the breech block off, you will notice a large space behind the gas seal (a metal plate that slides on the breech block to seal the gases when rifle is fired). Even if you load the rifle with as much powder as will fill the chamber, once you close the breech, the powder can migrate into the space behind the gas seal. Thus, you can never have a "full" load and it is safe to shoot reduced loads that do not totally fill the chamber.

The only problem with reduced loads is that some time, you may get slow ignition since the powder is all over the chamber and not held in one place. That's why I like to use paper cartridges, glued to the base of the bullet. This keeps the powder right in front of the percussion cap flash channel and gives fast ignition.

Good luck with the new gun. Just make sure that once you shoot it, you disassemble the breech block and clean very well. Make sure you get the gas seal off and clean it and around the area under it on the breech. It takes me 1/2 to 3/4 hour to clean the gun after each shooting session.

Rich
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Thanks Rich, very helpful. :D
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Just got the carbine! WOO HOO! :D Now I just have to wait for this blasted blizzard to move out of the midwest so I can go play. :cry:
Todd Birch

new carbine

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

Congrats on the carbine and welcome to the club!

I've got a batch of loaded rds for my .50 '63s but have used up the sunny days by going x-country skiing.
I supposed I could combine the two and do my own Sharps biathlon .....

The one thing I haven't done yet is take game with a '63. Only way that is gonna happen is if I hunt exclusively with one. Spring bear season is just 5 months away!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Oh woe is me..... :cry: problems. The lock on this gun is the worst gun lock I have ever had personal experience with. The hammer rubs on the plate so bad it will not detonate a cap. The hammer screw was loose when I got it and I wondered why, now I know. The previous owner used it with a loose screw so long the hammer is now loose on the tumbler, lots of wobble. The tumbler also rubs on the bridle contributing to a slow weak hammer fall too. And, unless you jerk the trigger it will fall into half cock..... :roll: Hows that for trouble? :lol: But, when it did go off it shot EXCELLENT! 65 gr. of Shuetzen 2ff loose in the chamber was a full load and is what I was shooting. Shot a five shot group off hand at 100 yards that was about 6" whilst leaning against a post. I considered that not to bad the first time out considering it took at least 2 to 4 hammer falls for each shot.
I'll be calling the folks at Shiloh to see if they can fix this lock for me.
Todd Birch

Alas!

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

Sorry to hear of your carbine woes.

It's no worse than having to rebuild an original to shooting status. I'm sure the good folks at Shiloh will help you resurrect the little beast.

The original owner needs his pee-pee slapped.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

sounds like someone changed some parts in the lock, no way an ill fitting tumbler left Shiloh. Once you get the lock problem solved you will be very pleased that you went with the Shiloh. My '63 54 cal with Charlie's 1.2" tubes and the Raphine ringtail with 50Gr Swiss 1 1/2 does ragged hole 5 shot groups from the bench at 100 yds
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

It's a Farmingdale gun, not current Shiloh production. I should have made that clear in the beginning.
Todd Birch

Farmer '63

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

Three of my five Shilohs are Farmingdales; two percussion, one in 45-70.

Having a Farmingdale gun adds a little modern history to the Sharps legend.
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Yes, I agree. even with the lock trouble I really like this gun. I'm considering placing an order for a '63 sporting rifle when I call Shiloh about fixing this lock.