Bullet size

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rooster57

Bullet size

Post by Rooster57 »

What bullet diameter do you fellows shoot in your '63 shiloh .50 carbines? I have a Lyman 515141 that throws a 450gr bullet. Can I shoot it as cast?
Mucho thanks
Todd Birch

Lyman 515141

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

I also shoot the Lyman 515141 sized .510 in my .50 '63s and 50-70.

Before I got the sizing die, I shot them as cast with no problems. If the mix is soft enough, you should be fine.

It's one way to keep things simple. Generally with a '63, you aren't trying to wring the last ounce of accuracy out of it for 500 yard shot.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Ok, thanks Todd I figured you'd be the one to bail me out! :lol: Much appreciated.
The fine fellow I bought the gun from sent me a whole box of bullets he had cast for the gun. They look to be "as cast" and mic about .513 or there about. Now , off to the lubing pan with them! :lol:
Todd Birch

.50 ammo

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

If you really want to be a herectic, roll some of your lubed bullets with a .54 calibre 60 gr Pyrodex pellet!

During the Civil War, they figured out how to make compressed powder charges with BP. The rounds look just like my Pyro pellet loads.
I don't want to mess with compressing BP, so the Pyro does the trick.

I have thought of trying the BP compression trick with wooden dies and some sort of binding agent. Back then, they used 'collodion', a nitrocellulose compound dissolved in ether or alcohol.

Collodion was used to coat photographic plates and also to cover over wounds, the 'krazy' glue of the era.

Might be a fun way to make up authentic, easy to handle paper rounds.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

I might give pyro pellets a whirl sometime, thanks for the suggestion. I believe most of the gun shops around here carry them.