Dixie Gun Works powder measure

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Bill Goodman

Dixie Gun Works powder measure

Post by Bill Goodman »

I saw in the new Dixie Gun Works catalogue a powder measure made for the Sharps perc. It's the usual brass muzzle loading type measure with the funnel on a hinge, BUT the funnel spout on the bottom is LONG so it will fit in the chamber of a Sharps. Looks like an interesting and useful measure. I've been using a brass funnel a guy made for me 25 years ago. It's big and clunky, but works. I stand it upright in the open chamber of my Perc. guns with the muzzle pointed down and then pour the powder in from a M/L type measure or a pre-measured container (for hunting). I'll have to get one of these DGW ones to try. Anyone used one?
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Haven't used one but sounds pretty nifty. I've been just dumping from a measure and so far have been able to get most of the powder in the chamber, but an attached funnel would be much easier.
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

that's not the one I saw in the catalogue. The other one is made just for the Sharps and has a three or four inch down spout on the funnel.
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Here's the one Bill is talking about....I must have one I think.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=3728
My '63 Shiloh carbine is going off for repairs today, but I have a '63 Pedersoli Sharps full length military rifle coming this week to play with while the Shiloh is gone. Could be a good reason to order one of these measures!
I have read all about the '63 Pedersoli Sharps problems....should be interesting sorting it all out! :lol: Suppose I'll get lucky and the Pedersoli will work like a fine Swiss watch? :wink: [/url]