.54 R.E.A.L. bullet

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rooster57

.54 R.E.A.L. bullet

Post by Rooster57 »

What does this bullet actually mic at? Anybody use it in their .54 '63? Just received a Pedersoli infantry rifle in .54 and this mold came along with it. Thought maybe I'd ask about it before I fired up the lead pot and wasted time making these if they won't work.
Todd Birch

bullet diameter

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

Mike the mould. That will give you a good ball park indication.

I use an NEI .54 mould for my '63 Sporter. Like it.
Yesterday I cast up 100 .50s from my single cavity Lyman 515141. That's all I can stand to do at one session.

I gotta get me a double cavity .50 mould ....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Thanks Todd, I figured you may have some input. I'll cast a couple dozen of these and give them a try tomorrow. I think I'll buy a .54 ring tails sharps mold for it.
Todd Birch

.54 rounds

Post by Todd Birch »

Rooster

You didn't ask, but if you like, I'll scan you a picture of my .54 NEI 'ringtail' cartridges married up to Charlie Hahn's paper tubes.

I also have had excellent results rolling .54 Minies cast from a Lee mould.
They shoot very well and make perfect sense for a paper Sharps.

I really ought to shoot my .54 Sporter a lot more and put decent sights on it. It's quite accurate and packs a mean punch - at both ends!

It would be an excellent bear and moose flattener. If I get a moose draw this year, I may prove it.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Thanks Todd. I'm ordering a NEI sharps ringtail mold today. I think probably the 475gr.
Todd Birch

scan

Post by Todd Birch »

If that was a "Yes", I'll need an email address.
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

That would probably help wouldn't it....
mbrooks_52806@yahoo.com
cathousewilly

R.E.A.L bullet

Post by cathousewilly »

Rooster I have the mould you speak of and I found the bullet made very large holes in the paper. It' only slightly longer than its dia so it tumbles. It mics at .52 but it's meant to be loaded from the muzzle and get sized on it's way. That may have something to do with the tumbling. All in all it's not a good choice for my 63 sporter.OOPS bullet dia shud read .552.