Labour Intensive Reloading!

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

Labour Intensive Reloading!

Post by Todd Birch »

I'm half way through a 50 rd batch of loads for my .50 63s. Tried a new method this time - won't do it again!

I had some previously cut papers that I use to roll bullets with Pyro pellets. So, I rolled them around bullets thinking I could fold over the end of the tube and glue it.

Wrong! Tubes were too short. What to do ..... ?

I formed some paper 'caps' over a mandrel, applied glue around the edges of the filled tubes (could only get in 50 grs FFg) and fitted the 'cap'.

Then I pushed the rounds into a short length of copper tube to form and compress them. Makes for a really neat looking, chamber short round that ought to be perfect for the carbine.

Next time, it'll be a formed, capped and charged tube that I'll fit the bullet to - as per usual. The lube holds the tube quite well.

You gotta love these guns to wanna shoot 'em .....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Jay Yuskaitis

reloading.

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Todd, You hit the nail on the head, as far as loving to shoot the 1863's. For some strange reason, I enjoy building cartridges as well as shooting them, something I don't enjoy with my metallic cartridges. Maybe because someone else did most of the building. Take care, Jay y.