54 sporter recoil

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Rich Siegel

54 sporter recoil

Post by Rich Siegel »

I'm wondering just how much powder a 1863 sporter in 54 caliber holds and what the actual felt recoil is? Todd, do you have a sporter? If so, does it's recoil equal about what your 50/70 has?

I hate the thought of getting beaten to death with the 54, especially if the rifle has the metal, rifle butt plate.
Thanks,
Rich
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

Rick, I have the 63 military carbine in 54. I use Charlie's tubes that are 1.2" and 50Gr of Swiss 1 1/2 with the Rapine ringtail, recoil is not too bad. I also have a 63 3 band which I use 1.875 tubes in and 64Gr Swiss 1 1/2 with the rapine bullet. The recoil off hand isn't too bad but from a bench or prone it is pretty stout, in fact from prone I use a pad. The only reason I use 64 gr is that it groups 2-2 1/2" at 200 when driven with that much powder and is my LR rifle at NSSA.
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

I don't think it matters too much how much powder it holds if you are using loose powder and breech seating the bullet. Air space doesn't seem to matter much. I'd assume the chamber will hold 110+ grs. which will be stout recoil. Maybe start with 70 grs. and work up looking for accuracy. I once filled a .54 sporter with a X-mas tree bullet and 120 grs. FFFg. That was fun... once. I'd bet 80-95 grains will find a winner and while recoil will be stout, it shouldn't be unpleasant off hand. Lots of power too. You might also try Fg as I've had good results with it in .50-90 and .45-110. Recoil seems lighter and accuracy good.
Todd Birch

.54 recoil

Post by Todd Birch »

Rich

I've fired 95 grs FFg with both the .54 Rapine 'Xmas Tree' and Lee .54 Minie in my '63 Sporter. Recoil was right up there and I was glad the rifle was wearing one of those lace on leather pads!

I offered people watching me the chance to shoot it and all declined! It was stiff from the bench, but quite manageable from off hand.

I just did up a batch with both bullets using 80 grs, and that is in the comfort zone of my 50-70 Military Rifle. I see no need to shoot more powder for ANY reason!

I've got a copy of "Shoot!" magazine that has an article on shooting the .54 Military by Kenny Durham. That's where I got the idea for using 95 grs. Been there - done that, and survived! Thanks, but No, thanks .....

If I were to order a percussion carbine or rifle, I would definitely order one in .50, not .54. It's historically correct and doesn't kick the snot out of you.
I once considered asking Shiloh to make up one in .577 like the Brit model '55s they tested, but not now .....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

After observing a load of original model 1851s, 1852s and 1853s I think the .44/45 caliber was most popular back then. .50 caliber sporters were much less common. The .36 caliber (actually, I think they were more like .40s) were also common. If I get another, it'll probably be a .45.
Todd Birch

perc calibres

Post by Todd Birch »

You're right, of course, Bill.

But I was thinking mainly in terms of the military rifles and carbines. You often see guys on the forum asking what calibre they should order a MR or carbine in.

I just happened to stumble on my .50 Military Rifle and carbine by being in the right place at the right time. When the chance came for a MR in 50-70, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The Holy Trinity.

All three shoot the same bullet (Lyman 515141) sized .512, so it couldn't be simpler.

I confess I'd be happier with the Sporter if it was also in .50. Nothing deserves to be shot with that huge ball!

I've utterly no experience with calibres smaller than .50 in the percs. I'm looking forward to your article in BPCN.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

There's a beautiful 1853 sporter for sale at the Julia auction next month. Here's the link http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div ... ?pageREQ=1

Go to item 1424 or there abouts. The rifle is in 52 caliber. I got to handle the rifle last week. Very nice gun.

Rich
Todd Birch

original Sharps carbine

Post by Todd Birch »

Got an email from a good ol' boy back east with an original .52 '63 Sharps military carbine.

He said it shoots 12" high at 50 yds and asked if he should install a higher front sight!

I said - "NO!!!" Live with it or sell it to me.
Jay Yuskaitis

Recoil

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

I just have to ask? Why were Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles from 36 to 40 calibers called Squirrel Rifles ? For the Big Game they were taking? I know I'll be crucified for asking this. Have fun with me. Jay y.
Todd Birch

Bore/Boar size

Post by Todd Birch »

I've read that the bores of early guns brought to North America had 'big bores' (.60s, .75s), as that was common in Europe.

There not being many big 'boars' running through the NA Woods, calibres were soon reduce to economize on lead and powder. These dropped black bears and deer well and became popular.

I guess they were nicknamed "squirrel guns" due to their puny bore size compared to the larger bores.

Either that or you went plain squirrely trying to make 'em do whatcha hoped they'd do - kill game and British Officers!