Confederate Sharps Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

Confederate Sharps Carbine

Post by klw »

Decades ago didn't Shiloh make a replica of this gun?
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

They did a long time ago. I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two and that was years ago.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Here's a nice one on GB I've been watching.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =157473726
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Marathonman wrote:Here's a nice one on GB I've been watching.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =157473726
I've had my eye on that one too, but just bought a '63 shiloh infantry in .54 at a great price, so no cashola left for a confederate sharps at the moment.... :cry:
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I bought a Shiloh Robinson last year for $1100 but mine does have a 1/2" scratch on the barrel up by the muzzle. The case colors look great, like real case colors. I think they might be. The barrel is also polished blue. There are no Shiloh markings of any kind except an "S" on the bottom (underside) of the breech. The only stamped markings are historically correct for the Robinson carbine.

My gun has a short chamber. With my standard load of 490 grain Christmas tree ring tail bullet and a paper cartridge holding 50 grains of FFG GOEZ, the gas seal cuts off about 3/16" of the cartridge when the breech closes. This cartridge fits exactly in my Shiloh 63 carbine I use for N-SSA matches.

The sights are regulated to be dead on at 75 yards.

Rich
Todd Birch

Shiloh Carbine.

Post by Todd Birch »

I've got a .50 Shiloh carbine marked "Shiloh Products Inc." similar to the one on GunBroker, serial # 2181. It's the one I've been talking about on this site.

Mine also lacks the primer mechanism 'hump' and I refer to it as my "Brit" model since the Brits removed the auto-prime from the Robbins & Lawrence carbines they bought.
It has the Lawrence rear sight and a steel barrel band instead of brass.

I think that gun would be worth acquiring, but the price is pretty steep.

Bill Goodman gave me a 'heads up' that he has an article coming up in BPCN on shooting percussion Sharps rifles. He predicts that the next wave of interest in Sharps rifles will be in the percussion models.

I was looking to sell my '63 Sporter, but maybe I'll hang onto it for a while.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi Todd,
I was trying to hint to you about keeping the SHILOH 1863. I have only been lucky enough to own 2 original Sharps rifles. An 1874 in 40 1 & 11/16, and a pristine (as I recall, in the late 1960's) carbine in 52 caliber. This was long before we could get bullet molds in obsolete calibers and other info now available thanks to the Internet. As a fool always does, I sold them because I couldn't shoot them. Some of my biggest mistakes, of my I many over the decades! Anyhow, I had to tell you just how long I tried to locate an 1863 Shiloh Sporter in 54 caliber, as , I thought, was the ultimate big bore rifle of the day. I could find many Military Rifles and Carbines in all the calibers. I wanted a sporter a buffalo hunter might have used. About a year ago Bill Goodman had an 1863 I wanted! My first deal on the internet. Never have I been so happy with something no one else wanted. I've used Charlie's tubes, Rapine & Brooks molds. I've surprised myself with the groups this old reprobate has gotten with SHILOH M1863.
Sorry to be so long winded, I typed this with one finger.

Jay Y.
Todd Birch

.54 Sporter

Post by Todd Birch »

Jay

Every time I pick up the Shiloh Sporter, I'm reminded of that poem about the "Arab's Farewell To His Steed" ..... You know how that one ends.

I think it's probably a keeper. Just wish there were more guys around who appreciate them in this red neck backwater. But then, historically, they were rare, so I'm actually on the cutting edge.

I'm going to make an offer on an original '63 carbine a guy told me about. He's a Springfield Trapdoor fan and I've got a pristine H&R OM.
I know the H&Rs have bad name with some, but I currently own two and both are delights to shoot.

On a Canadian site, a fellow told me he just acquired a Farmingdale '63 carbine in .45. He's been asking me for info on loads, bullets, etc. I told him to sign on here and ask Bill Goodman. He loves the small bores.

I know that particular gun and the original owner snapped off the head of the clean out screw. It could be drilled out, a new hole tapped for another screw. He says the rest of the gun is in good working order.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"