Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine

Post by klw »

Anyone have experience with one of these?
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

Pedersoli makes fine looking firearms. My experience with a carbine about 10 yrs back was that it was difficult to get more than 8-10 shots out of it without it fouling so bad that it was hard to move the lever. I lubed well and used swiss powder. being a competitive shooter this was not working for me. Charlie Haun and a few others can fix the problems and make them shoot, but I sold mine to a reenactor and bought my first Shiloh '63 and have never had a problem with it. Sure they cost a bit more, but they work much better as a working gun. Both my '63 rifle and carbine have well over 3000+ plus rounds through them without any problems, they are both super accurate and have won many medals when I do my part at NSSA. The rifle is one of the most accurate 200 yd rifles I have shooting 2 to 2 1/2 groups, many of my cartridge rifles won't do that. My suggestion is if you are looking for a shooter, MADE IN AMERICA, get a Shiloh, you will never regret the purchase
klw

Post by klw »

1stregtengr wrote:Pedersoli makes fine looking firearms. My experience with a carbine about 10 yrs back was that it was difficult to get more than 8-10 shots out of it without it fouling so bad that it was hard to move the lever. I lubed well and used swiss powder. being a competitive shooter this was not working for me. Charlie Haun and a few others can fix the problems and make them shoot, but I sold mine to a reenactor and bought my first Shiloh '63 and have never had a problem with it. Sure they cost a bit more, but they work much better as a working gun. Both my '63 rifle and carbine have well over 3000+ plus rounds through them without any problems, they are both super accurate and have won many medals when I do my part at NSSA. The rifle is one of the most accurate 200 yd rifles I have shooting 2 to 2 1/2 groups, many of my cartridge rifles won't do that. My suggestion is if you are looking for a shooter, MADE IN AMERICA, get a Shiloh, you will never regret the purchase
I'm leaning away from a Shiloh for three reasons. First, they are just hard to get. It would take at least a year, probably much longer. Second, I've never been able to determine how long the pressure plate will last before needing repair. I'd probably but at least 1500 round a year through one and if it needed repair every couple of years it would just not be worth the bother, particularly when an o-ring modification on a Pedersoli would probably hold up much better. Finally, though undoubted a very well made and pretty gun I just don't think that they are worth the increase cost compared to a Pedersoli.
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

I have bought both a shiloh '63 carbine and shiloh '63 infantry rifle since december. I have less than $1400 in the two of them together. They certainly aren't hard to find at a more than reasonable price.....
klw

Interesting.

Post by klw »

Interesting point. Thanks!
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

EDIT: That should be $2400 for the two of them....I wish it were $1400! :lol:
Todd Birch

'63 Shilohs

Post by Todd Birch »

Read the success I've had with my .50 '63 Carbine. It shoots beyond all reasonable expectations. So do my '63 MR and .54 Sporter.

I don't expect them to perform any better than 1850s - 1860s technology will permit. That's part of their charm.

Beats the hell out of a modern brass case Sharps with so many upgrades that it's only resemblance to an original is the head stamp on the cases.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Charlie Hahn

Confederate Sharps

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Several of these have come through my shop this winter, some new some not. One thing to look for is the type of gas check plate. They have made some design changes, and the shooting results is mixed. The gas check plate has about a 5/16th hole and it is straight. The back of the diameter that goes into the breech block has about .015 inch space behind it and is flat, no taper like the Shiloh or originals. All this sound good till you try and shoot in a team event. The plate can't move forward and the breech leaks and locks very fast. If you have an o-ring added without modifying the breech block they still get tight due to the area behind the gas check. The fouling piles up and locks up. Some units have spring washers in this area as well, they just speed up the locking process. I have been converting these into solid blocks with a two piece sleeve, or fitting with the original style gas check. These changes make the gun work.

When I first saw this design, I thought it had merit, but now believe it is not so good. The rest of the gun is fine. Fit finish is good.

Charlie
Charlie Hahn