To Todd Birch

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jay Yuskaitis

To Todd Birch

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi Todd,
I'm sorry for hi jacking these threads. I'm not much of a computer person. I, also enjoy shooting Trapdoor Springfields. Have been for 50 years! Have had many over the years. Thought I had a couple of original carbines, come to find out they were cut down rifles, not trying back then to fake anything out, just trying to make a sporter out of an old Trapdoor. I have to admit the first original trapdoor carbine I ended up with was an H&R Cavalry Carbine. Also an H&R Officers Model. I know they are not originals! I do enjoying shooting them along with my Originals. I have been thinking seriously of bidding on the Confederate Carbine on gun broker, but my next birthday is just shy of 70.
Good luck to you, Jay y.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

If you don't mind Pedersoli there's one for half the money..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =157913188
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Todd Birch

70??? Yeah - great!

Post by Todd Birch »

Jay

How long do you expect to live? I'm 67 and was recently diagnosed with treatable cancer. I've come to appreciate the good things and people in my life a whole lot more.

Life is too short NOT to own and shoot the guns we love. A local buddy has the most eye-popping collection of pristine Ballards, Sharps, Winchesters and Remingtions you've ever seen - the stuff of dreams, with all the right sights, accessorioes, etc. He has a form of skin cancer (in remission) and a colo-rectal problem that limit his activities.

He knows I'm into replica BPCRs (which he regards as inferior) and breaks my heart once in a while telling me about his latest acquisitions. But - he envies me my ability to get out there and put my replicas to good use; something he hasn't been able to do for a long time.

"If not, why not? If not now - when? Hebrew proverb

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls - it tolls for thee" John Donne

"Carpe Diem" some dead Roman
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Jay Yuskaitis

old age

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Todd,
I hope to live a while longer with half way decent health. IMHO, there is nothing the matter with collecting & shooting replica BPCRs. Quality replicas from Shiloh, C. Sharps, CPA, Lone Star, Romano, H&R, yes, H&R, etc. etc. have made this all possible. Some of us cannot afford pristine originals, as many of the originals have changed hands at least once in my lifetime, never to show up again in my lifetime, but, maybe for my grandchildren. I truly enjoy shooting my replicas as much as my few originals.
Take care, Jay Y.
Todd Birch

repros vs originals

Post by Todd Birch »

Jay

The hell of it is, this guy seldom, if ever shoots any of his rifles. He just collects them.

Not having the resources to invest in wall-hanging originals, I'd rather have a current 'original' that I shoot and enjoy.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"