1863 Carbine Question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
greymount

1863 Carbine Question

Post by greymount »

I am planning on ordering a 1863 54 cal carbine in the near future. I plan on having the AA finish and a polished metal barrel. I also will order a patch box and saddle ring. I believe that the AA finish will provide more protection against poor weather and black powder residue. Does the AA finish still have some grain visible? Is the AA finish to "nice" for a military weapon or should I go with the regular finish? Also do the Shiloh 1863 require an "o-ring" job? I currently have a Pedersoli 1859 rifle that needs an "o-ring" job.
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

can't comment on the finish being more durable, mine has the std finish and I have no problem with it and shoot it in any weather, wet or dry. My '63 54 cal carbine is a working gun. I shoot it at NSSA and I would say between practice and competitions I shoot it about 1000 rounds per year. Mine has about 3000 rounds through it and it does not need an O ring job. I use the charlie haun tubes and the rapine ringtail with 50 gr swiss 1 1/2 powder. It will shoot better than 40 rounds before the action starts to tighten up.
Todd Birch

???

Post by Todd Birch »

greymount

A gussied up, polished military '63?

Kind of like seeing a Garand or an '03 Springfield done up like a high grade sporter. It may look pretty, but .....

As for finish being a factor in corrosion resistance, no finish is going to make up for neglect. A matte surface cleans up just as well as a high polish and holds more microscopic oils, so I once read.

You pays you money - you takes you choice
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"