What type of lead should I use? The corresponding BP/gr.wt.?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Michael P Nowak

What type of lead should I use? The corresponding BP/gr.wt.?

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Help: I'M waiting to get my new 1863 rifle in .54 cal! In casting my own bullets for the paper cartridge or Charlies set-up? What type of lead should I use? (1) pure lead or (2) 30-1 lead. I found a web site that sells this product and its pretty in-expensive? The site is Roto Metal.com tele# is 1-800-779-1102. Type of black powder; Swiss 1.5F-2FF or 3FFF,with the grain wt. Say guys I,m really looking forward for this. So for now thank you everybody and good night? Rangers Lead The Way! Mike. :D
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Mike,
I use a slightly hard lead, about 1-30. I use a Rapine ringtail mold and 50 grains of FFG GOEX in my 63 carbine.
Rich
Michael P Nowak

Hi Rich: Thank you Mike.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

mine likes pure lead
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Todd Birch

re: '63 Rifle in .54

Post by Todd Birch »

I use the same alloy as for my brass cartridge BPCRs and FFg.

Two of my '63s are .50s, and a Sporter in .54. I wish the Sporter was also a .50.

If you don't mind the suggestion, change your order to .50. Less powder, less lead, less recoil = more fun. Sporter or Military?

Anything you want to hunt will be just as dead and you'll suffer a lot less 'recoil fatique' in an afternoon of shooting. On the other hand, if you enjoy taking a beating from a rifle, enjoy!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Michael P Nowak

Good morning SnapCap and Todd: Thank you for your time in responding to my question. Mike.
Jay Yuskaitis

alloy

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

I've had great accuracy with my 54 cal. Sporter with 1-30 mix, Rapine ring tale and Brooks "Charlie Hahn" bullets. J.Y.
Michael P Nowak

Good morning Jay: Thank you for taking out and replying to my question(s) and that goes to all guys. I'll leave you all with an big Airborne THANKS. Mike. 8)