Sharps '59 Pics

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

Sharps '59 Pics

Post by Todd Birch »

The current issue of "Man At Arms" magazine has some good pics of a '59
percussion Sharps Military Rifle from the collection of Peter Albee.

It is serial #54390, one of the lowest numbers known. Acording to Sword's book, the lowest serial number of a known Berdan-issue Sharps is 54374, the highest 57567, so this is likely a Berdan rifle, with all the known characteristics.

There should be a 'JT' inspector's cartouche on the left wrist of the stock, not visible in the pics, nor is it mentioned in the captions. However, it is said to be a genuine Berdan rifle.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Todd,
Not to steal your thread, but take a look at this one.
Chris

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin ... emID=36207
KL

Post by KL »

"C" usually denotes 1863.
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

'yah! 59, '60, '61, '62, or '63!

"C" is for CONDITION!
KL

Post by KL »

That's strange. Sellers list the New Model 1863 Carbine as having numbers 71,235 through 99,999 and thereafter starting with # C,1 through C, 49528, period of production 1863 to 1865.
Todd Birch

Sharps Rifle

Post by Todd Birch »

Nineteen76

Did I read the price right on that rifle? Strikes me as bargain for a rifle of that vintage in that condition.
I note that it takes a sabre bayonet, not socket.

I was shooting my '63 carbine yesterday, comparing loads with wheel weight bullets to my usual alloy mix. I'll post the results soon. Too bagged after helping friends who are moving back to Montana. Wish I was going with them .....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster-Rancher

Post by Rooster-Rancher »

Did I read the price right on that rifle? Strikes me as bargain for a rifle of that vintage in that condition.
I note that it takes a sabre bayonet, not socket.
I suspect a refinish/restoration. It's just too good...especially at that price.
Todd Birch

is it or isn't it ....?

Post by Todd Birch »

Oddly, the cover of "Man at Arms" features a close up of the action of the '63 Berdan rifle.
Right under it is the title: "Is your gun refinished?", an article on the unscrupulous refinishing of antique guns.

Refinished or not, that rifle on 'collectorsfirearms' would be a good acquisition, if it's as good looking inside.
Rooster-Rancher

Post by Rooster-Rancher »

I suspect new wood on that gun. there isn't any way that gun has come this far with no bangs or bruises. When I worked for rock Island auction Co. I found several with new wood on them. A quick check in the patch box will usually tell the story.