Is the 63 front sight dovetailed?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

Is the 63 front sight dovetailed?

Post by Free_Stater »

I've looked closely and it seems to be, but if so, it's the most precise dovetail I've ever seen. Gonna go put a 5x loupe on it and look again. (I'm half blind and can't see, either.)
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Do not think so. for a high front sight. file it flat to the base. (not to the barrel) but top of the sight block. Next take a drumal and cuttinh wheel cut a slot 1/4 the way thru the block along the barrel. next silver soider
a pce of brass or steel in. another easy way to rase it is Jbe weld on top of the existing and file as needed.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Todd Birch

'63 front sight

Post by Todd Birch »

I recently had a dovetail cut for a silver blade front sight like Shiloh installs on their brass cartridge carbines.

It was that or doing what snapcap recommended, but since I had the sight on hand, I went that route. Worked out well, grouping right on or close to POA. Before it shot quite high.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rooster-Rancher

Post by Rooster-Rancher »

Pedersoli pins their blade to the block. Simple matter of driving the pin out and making a taller blade to install back in the block.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

My idea was to fabricate another, longer dovetail with blade, then I'd have a sight that could not only be filed down to get elevation but could be tapped side to side for windage. Seems that Todd had the same idea, but he's acted on it.
Rooster-Rancher

Post by Rooster-Rancher »

My '63 Shiloh front sights are a brazed on block, no way to remove the block with out filing it off.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Rooster-Rancher wrote:My '63 Shiloh front sights are a brazed on block, no way to remove the block with out filing it off.
I see that now. Still, a dovetail would make sense if someone wanted the option of precise zeroing for a particular load.
Todd Birch

zeroing a '63

Post by Todd Birch »

To zero a '63 for windage, leave the front sight alone.

Remove the screw of the Lawrence rear sight, loosen the small screw in the base, move it as necessary and tighten it. Be careful not to strip or burr it.

I hate shifting front sights on any gun, particularly if it results in a sight off-centre. Doesn't look 'right'.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"