loads

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
RedRiver

loads

Post by RedRiver »

just getting everything going for loading I got the brooks mould casted up some fine bullets, got the tubes from CH and now cut some wads from milk cartons, before i start has anyone tried pre lubed wonder wads 45 cal down inside the tube for a 54 cal. i think it would work as a buffer over a wad sitting on top of the powder.I will make up some loads with both 777 and others with just 2f black goex
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

never had a fouling problem w/ the brooks mold loaded in charlies tubes then dipped in 50/50 beeswax olive oil. from 15 to 20 shots in a group the size of a clay bird at 50yrds. and at times the breach got hot to the point it would not open w/o being cool down first. :oops:
I use nothing but 2ffg never the fake stuff.
Its a black powder gun not a fake stuff gun. :lol:
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

well i got out and fired this beast, we had a local muzzleloader silhouette shoot and I took the 1863 out for some testing after we were done. I first coated the block with wonder lube and under the gas plate. I then shot a few caps off to make sure the nipple was good and dry ,slipped in a Brooks bullet on top of a CH tube with 70 gr 2f goex and the fun was unreal. I shot for quite a while, some times the Charlie tubes were not fully gone out the bore and I had to blow the rest out of the barrel. Overall I am happy but will have to work more on the loads to get better groups.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

What yardage u shooting? for 100yrd or less you should be able to find something between 35 and 50 grn 2fffg that will work for you can't help over 100 never tried. Ive used pure lead and some not so pure [to hard for musket minne] both seam to work for me. for filler cream of wheat or gritts.
Alot of use are using Extreme Pressure lube #3 on the breach block and gas check.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Bob Eschbach

loads

Post by Bob Eschbach »

Red River, Back to your origiuonal question. I dont think any over powder wads are necessary. I have never used them. I also dont feel that over powder filler is necessary in reduced loads. Plenty of n-ssa shooters use reduced target loads with no fillers and have no problems. Just my 2cents. Bob E
snapcap14

Re: loads

Post by snapcap14 »

Bob Eschbach wrote:Red River, Back to your origiuonal question. I dont think any over powder wads are necessary. I have never used them. I also dont feel that over powder filler is necessary in reduced loads. Plenty of n-ssa shooters use reduced target loads with no fillers and have no problems. Just my 2cents. Bob E
never had a problem when loading lose powder. But w/ the light load I use, it only fills 1/2 of charlies tubes, I need to keep the powder to the rear to keep from getting hang fires or non at all. So I use the filler. My Brooks bullet also likes being all the way in the chamber. that's what gives me best groups.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA