Left handed

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
mooner

Left handed

Post by mooner »

Greetings,
Would like info on a left handed shooter using the '63. Is there problems ????
MOONER
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

not an expert opinion, but I would bet that there were some "port siders" using them way back then
Just might want to not "crawl " the stock & keep the mustache trimmed a little ( might not feel good if it got tangled up in the hammer). :lol:
Have fun!
CL
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
Todd Birch

port sider

Post by Todd Birch »

Mooner

It's only a problem if you think it is.

I enjoy shooting my wife's Rem. 700 CDL .243 LH action. I have no trouble holding the rifle to my shoulder with my right hand and operating the bolt with my left hand.
In fact, it makes a lot of sense when you think about it, especially from the bench.

I've know folks who shot left handed flinters from the right shoulder and others who shot left handed Rem. 1100s from the right shoulder. Ya rung what ya brung.

Port siders have shot right handed guns forever, including all the Civil War guns, the bolt actions, the M1 and M14.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Dudley Do Right

Lefty

Post by Dudley Do Right »

Mooner

It's no problem at all, I shoot left handed with my 63 in silhouette matches once a month, it not always easy to get off ten shoots in ten minutes but is fun.

The only thing that I do is to run a quick damp patch thru after each shot, to make sure there is no fire left over from the paper cartridges burning in between shots.

Dana
Naphtali

Re: Left handed

Post by Naphtali »

I am left-handed. Among side hammer muzzleloading (and Sharps type) actions, if you step back from aesthetics and examine the mechanics of loading-firing 1863s, shooting leftie is an advantage - the hammer does not interfere with loading the chamber or manipulating cartridges.

Just a thought.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift