.54 '63 Sporter

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

.54 '63 Sporter

Post by Todd Birch »

Having been away from my guns all summer due to cancer treatment, I got some much missed trigger time over the past two days ....

First it was with my Shiloh Military Rifle in 50-70 (my preferred hunting rifle) and a pet M1 Danish model Garand. Both shot to expectations and more. The Garand has taken my largest mule deer to date.

Today I warmed up with "my wife's" Uberti RB in .357 with BP loads - 21 grs FFFg and a 158 RN. What fun! Grouped well off hand at 50 and then I rang the 100 yd gong for a while.
Then it was 'paper' Sharps day, my .50 '63 carbine and .54 '63 Sporter coming out to play. I've never taken game with a '63 as yet, so I thought I'd better be ready.

The carbine shot true to form at 50 and 100 yds on paper, the max range I would ever use it on deer with it's 55 gr powder capacity and Lyman 515141 bullet. Ringing the 12" x 10" 100 yd gong is no real trick every time while sitting, 3/5 off hand.

Then the .54 Sporter was up ....

I had loads using Charlie Hahn's tubes and my own paper cartridges rolled out of copier paper (!), both holding 75 grs and a 'Xmas Tree' bullet.

The rds with Charlie's tubes came right to the rear of the chamber, just short of being sheared.
My rds were a full 1/2" shy of the rear of the chamber, but the ignition thru' the paper towel base was flawless. Same for the Hahn tubes.
Residue in the bore was nil after the Hahn tubes and occasionally a bit of copier paper with mine, easily blown out between shots.

The paper on my rds covered the grease grooves whereas the Hahn tubes had the base of the Xmas Tree glued on, lubed by hand before loading. Mine would be my choice for hunting, especially with a little shellac to waterproof the paper.

My rds hit 8" high with a 6 o'clock hold, but right at 12 o'clock. The rds using Charlie's tubes printed 7" left but the same 8" high - go figure. Both 3 shot groups measured 1 1/2" centre to centre.

This was with the factory semi-buckhorn sights! This rifle really deserves a good tang sight and front globe.

Before heading to the range, I scooped the gun grease from the breech cavity of the carbine and repalced it with a bees wax based boot grease.
The Sporter block had been lubed with the boot grease last time it was cleaned, including the tapered part of the shear plate.

After 20rds, the carbine was getting a little stiff to open, but the Sporter was still opearting as smooth as after the first shot. I had the impression it would do so as long as I would be willing to shoot it. Lubing the block with the beeswax grease did the trick.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
MRW

Post by MRW »

Todd, you are sure having a good time with the 63 sharps. good to hear that you are recovering well from your treatments. Hope you have a successful season of hunting..... Mike in Weaverville, CA.
Todd Birch

recovery

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks, Mike!

The treatments have left me a little fatigued but I'm told that will pass. My body is trying to repair the damage done by the radiation, a constant fight during the treatment period. Now I get to heal.
I'll learn in January just how effective they were. If they worked, I've got at least another 10 years ahead of me to enjoy - and I will! My chances are excellent as I was in good shape before the treatments and the "C" hadn't matastasized to other organs.

In the meantime, I'm still solo hunting, looking for a bear. Haven't ever shot a fat fall bear. My wife wants the fat for cooking and hand lotion. I hear it makes good bullet lube as well.

I'm toying with the idea of having the octagonal barrel on my '63 Sporter turned to a half round configuration. Won't make it shoot better; I just like the look. If I get that done, I'll have good sights mounted at the same time.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
MRW

Post by MRW »

Glad to hear from you and that the radiation treatments were effective. Opening day of deer and bear season today and it is cloudy and may rain which would be good. Have a good bear hunt.
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Todd, did you ever find that fall bear?
Todd Birch

Fall Bear

Post by Todd Birch »

Hi Bill

No, I didn't take a fall bear. I turned down several shots on smaller bears. Once you've taken a couple in the 400 lb+ range, you get kinda picky ....
We're enjoying a pretty cold and snowy winter here, so it is likely we'll have a late spring, giving vegetation a chance to proliferate before the bears decide to wake up. It's -36*C (-38*F) today with the windchill. The Fahrenheit and Centigrade scales meet at -40*.
An early spring after a low snow-fall year means a dismal berry crop for the bears and an early decline in available forage. We've had quite a problem the last couple of years, with hungry bears showing up in urban ares looking for garbage. Many were shot as there was no point in relocating problem bears to where there was nothing for them to eat.

So, bring on the snow! That's why I've got 4 wheel drive vehicles and a snowblower!