First time this has happened...

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

First time this has happened...

Post by Free_Stater »

I took the 1863 MR to the range today for some informal plinking. All told it sent 24 rounds downrange with no problems. I had to put it in the car for about half an hour while I finished up with other guns, and then I headed home, which is only about ten minutes.

When I got here, the first thing I did was start cleaning. As I went to open the block, nothing happened. It was stuck fast. I pulled on the lever but was afraid I'd bend it. Sprayed everything with WD-40, let it penetrate all the nooks and crannies and tried again. Nothing. Finally I managed to get the lever pin out, and at that point the block came down a little. I put the pin back in, and the lever lowered the block with only a little bit more force than normal.

I'm wondering if leaving the block closed after the last shot was the issue, or whether it was something else. Nothing like this has ever happened, and even though the block might be a little stiff after shooting a lot of rounds, it's never locked up completely.

Ideas? It might be that I had lightly coated the block with anti-seize lubricant, but I don't see how this should be a problem. The lube was still soft and clean when I got the block out.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Todd Birch

Hmmm ....?

Post by Todd Birch »

free-stater

when ya finger it out, let us in on it .... Have you ruled out gremlins?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

The only possible clue is that there was a small strip of cartridge paper that MIGHT have been caught between the block and the breech. That's the only clue. I've fired more rounds in a session before with no problems, and until I got home, I didn't notice anything wrong except a bit of tightness, but that appears to be normal. Maybe it was gremlins, or more likely zombies. I was also shooting one of my zombie guns, you see.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.