28ga shells in the .54 Sporter??

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
'63 Shiloh

28ga shells in the .54 Sporter??

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Hello Gents,

I was doing some research on the 45/70 Govt and came across an article describing a 'Forager' round that was issued for the US Army.

This was a shot filled 45/70 cartridge used by troops to shoot small game to supplement their rations in the field.

Got me thinking :wink:

Would a brass 28ga shell fit into the chamber of a .54 1863 Shiloh?

Was thinking it may have to be turned down to fit the chamber and the flash hole enlarged to allow reliable ignition. Thinking of using approx 400gn of 7 1/2 shot over a wad and suitable charge of BP.

It may be a useful addition when out hunting and you come across some small game, even birds.

Thoughts?

Mike
Todd Birch

brass in '63

Post by Todd Birch »

'63 Shiloh

Bad idea. Even if you get a brass shotshell to fit the chamber, what about the breech cavity?

It is also likely to stick in the chamber and with no extractor, you're going to have to pound it out - IF you can open the breech block after set back.

I made up some shot loads for my 50-70 and while they might be OK for squirrels and such, you wouldn't want to shoot a grouse. I did and it got away to die.

Give it a try and let us know the results. Or try some paper shot loads. They are historically correct for '63s with smooth bores. Check Seller's Book.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Thanks Todd,

I was thinking extraction would be an issue, was planning on using a scribe to hook into the primer pocket. Although on reflection it may prove to be very difficult due to expansion and fouling.

The paper cartridge shot filled charge would be more effective. I have never seen a grouse, we don't have have them here as far as I know.

Was looking at rabbits for small game, may need to up the shot size though.

I am placing an order with Amazon at the moment, have ordered 'The paper jacket' by Paul Matthews. Will add Sellers book to the order, thanks for the heads up mate.

Keep you posted.

Mick