Ring tail bullets and cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

Ring tail bullets and cartridges

Post by Free_Stater »

Well, my 200 ring tail bullets should be here in a day or two, so tonight I started work on prefabricating some combustible tubes that I can tie onto the bullets.

So far I've made ten tubes, and, depending on how much trouble the actual tying is, this might be the easiest cartridge design I've tried to date. The idea was to be able to fabricate a lot of cartridges and then simply add bullets, rather than have to attach the bullets during the cartridge building process.

I'll let ya'll know what happens and document the process with photos if it works out as intended.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Todd Birch

Charlie's Tubes

Post by Todd Birch »

Free-Stater

Charlie Hahn's tubes 'snap' onto the base of ring tail bullets. Fabricating paper cartridges can be frustrating at the best of times, an activity best done on a day when it's impossible to go shooting!

The easiest way I've found is to simply roll a sized/lubed bullet in whatever paper you are using, cut to length and either twist it off or carefully glue in a combustible base wad (I use a thickness of paper towel) and fold it over to just under chamber length.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I make mine in front of the TV while sitting in my recliner. Yeah, it's a Southern thing...

Having made a few hundred paper cartridges to date, I have one system that works, but I'm trying to streamline the process and make it cheaper and more consistent. Currently the cost per cartridge, less bullet and powder, is less than one cent (< $.01) per.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.