Gardner's Bullet & Cartridge Machine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Buzzard II

Re: Gardner's Bullet & Cartridge Machine

Post by Buzzard II »

An old post, but still informative. I, too, would like to see a Gardners machine and mold being offered for sale today. Anyone?
Bob
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Tooling up for it would be cost prohibitive for the size of the market. Unless some gifted mechanic/machinist did it for the sheer love of it.

The line for volunteers starts on the right ..... :lol:
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Todd,
Maybe on this website, but there may be more interest on the N-SSA.org site where there is much more interest of these guns and bullets. Just saying...
Bob
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

The big expense will be sourcing the mold. Perhaps the mold maker would be willing to make an extended punch to match the base hollow. The forming die should not be all that hard to make, mostly a tapered hole with a short straight section at the end to match the nose diameter. An inexpensive arbor press should have enough travel to push the bullet through and retract far enough to allow you to slip on another sleeve and bullet. There is also a chance it could be done in one of the Bonanza Co-Ax presses but a lot will depend on the diameter of the die that is used. If 7/8" diameter is big enough then it could be done in the press and perhaps even a standard loading press.
I can't see that the mold would be cheap and probably not easy to make but at some point someone did and it could be done again. Not sure if Accurate Molds could do the work or not.
Sam
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Why couldn't Accurate moulds do the job?

Someone just has to ask them and pay for it.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Noonanda

Post by Noonanda »

Buzzard II wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:37 pm An old post, but still informative. I, too, would like to see a Gardners machine and mold being offered for sale today. Anyone?
Bob
Working on it
"You see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig..You Dig"

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem.”