Tang Sight on NM 1859 (Berdan Sharps): It Did Happen

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Buffalo Bob

Tang Sight on NM 1859 (Berdan Sharps): It Did Happen

Post by Buffalo Bob »

I found a photo of a tang sight on a Sharps NM 1859, in the possession of a member of Co. E, 1st USSS, named Ozias Sanford:
http://www.deadfred.com/photos/62313.jpg

Had to be taken in 1864 or 1865.

I found a letter for sale, dated May 6, 1864, written by Sanford to his father about the Battle of the Wilderness. One line in the letter said: "I tried my new sights and they work well." Obviously referring to the tang sight in the photo.

So, I googled "Ozias Sanford" to see what was out there. Came across the above photo showing a picture of the sight that he wrote his father about after the Battle of the Wilderness. So I decided to relieve the dealer of the burden of having that letter.

Bottom line: nothing wrong with putting a tang sight on a NM 1859 or 1863. It's documented that it WAS done.
KL

Tang Signt on NM 1859

Post by KL »

I have seen a number of military 1859s and conversions and none were drilled for a tang sight, so I assume the factory did not do it as a matter of course. Special order or a local gunsmith maybe??
holdover

Re: Tang Sight on NM 1859 (Berdan Sharps): It Did Happen

Post by holdover »

why would they need to be drilled, why not use the existing screws on the tang that goes throught the stock, all the would have to be is they would need to be a bit longer, in fact that is what i plan on doing to my converted '63 in 50/70 3 band. I would say that is what the gov/person did, when they added the tang sight
holdover

Post by holdover »

Buffalo Bob,
I sent you a message about the tubes, but they changed the forum today and I am not sure you got it, it works different then it use to. email me at tmorisco@swva.net , if you didn't
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

The sight in the photo appears to be one of the sporting sights made by the Sharps Company. Does not appear to have the eye cup.
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
KL

Post by KL »

Maybe I misunderstood the basis of your original post. I suppose I could braze an 03-A3 rear sight the receiver of any Sharps, take a photo of it, and then claim that 03-A3 rear sights were used, at least one time, on a Sharps. If you mean that the factory produced tang sights for use as a matter of course on 1859 military models, and at the time of manufacture of the 1859s, then I have to say I never heard, viewed, or read of anything of the like. It sounds like you found the one person who customized his assigned rifle for his own use. I recall my friends' parents shipping them hot rodded ammunition for use in Nam, too. Most "mysteries," especially when backed up by a genuine photograph, are not actually mysteries in the sense that while a viewer lacks the knowlwdge of the facts, somewhere back in time, someone did know the facts. There is a rather famous photograph of a union soldier dressed "half-militarily" standing against or near a tree, with with bowie knife stuck through the belt in his pants. For years I read captions in numerous photographic Civil War books that stated: "Unknown Union Soldier," or something similar. About a month ago I saw a book on the 4th Michigan, and there is the same soldier, name: Richard Cramer. Someone knew, most if not all forgot, then someone found the information again. You did about the same thing here, but that does not show that 1859s between the numbers used or had mounts for tang sights as a matter of course, especially because you may have found one if not the only exception.
squire

Post by squire »

Looks genuine to me.
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

My two (2) cents worth: that picture been around for a long time. I'm 59 and I remember seeing that Yankee photo when I was in High School. Now cut too the chase. I belong to a group of former Special Forces sharpshooters all of us are in our 50's or so. When we get together we shoot just for bragging rites. Well my 1863 is going to go with the tang sight from MVA. And that is the way how it is mounted: by replacing the former tang screws with newer longer ones. Just the way it was done in the War of Southern Independence. As a group we try to stay within the period. Just that no-more no-less have a great day guys. Mike 8)