Goodby to CCI's "Hot" Musket Caps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Southron Sr.

Goodby to CCI's "Hot" Musket Caps

Post by Southron Sr. »

Due to complaints from Civil War Re-enactors, CCI has discontinued their "Hot" 6 wing Musket Caps.
To make matters worse, CCI has replaced their "Hot" musket caps with what they call "Re-enactor" caps {Yep, that is what it says on the label!]

These "Re-enactor caps are as "weak as water" and didn't work very well with my Sharps. I was getting misfires with every other shot.

CCI has lost my business. This past weekend I picked up 5,000 "Hot" German caps and they work fine with my Sharps!

So, if you have some of those "Hot" CCI 6 wing musket caps stored away-keep in mind that they are rapidly becoming "Collectors Items!"
Hobie

Re: Goodby to CCI's "Hot" Musket Caps

Post by Hobie »

Dang!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I have about 1,200 or enough for my own needs. They work great with my Shiloh MR, and I'd hate to think that one day in the future I'll have to buy something else.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

RWS musket caps have always worked well for me in several different Shiloh perc. models.
holdover

Post by holdover »

the 6 wing CCI always seemed to work when a "Hot" cap was needed. Over the years I used them on firearms that would not go off with any regularity with any other cap. Often when I am a line safety at NSSA and someones musket/carbine etc will not fire a 6 wing CCI made it go bang. going to miss them..
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

Southron Sr. wrote:Due to complaints from Civil War Re-enactors, CCI has discontinued their "Hot" 6 wing Musket Caps.
To make matters worse, CCI has replaced their "Hot" musket caps with what they call "Re-enactor" caps {Yep, that is what it says on the label!]

These "Re-enactor caps are as "weak as water" and didn't work very well with my Sharps. I was getting misfires with every other shot.

CCI has lost my business. This past weekend I picked up 5,000 "Hot" German caps and they work fine with my Sharps!

So, if you have some of those "Hot" CCI 6 wing musket caps stored away-keep in mind that they are rapidly becoming "Collectors Items!"
Not been here for awhile so this is late, but:
Not being satisfied with trying to learn papeer patching in 40, 44, & 50 caliber BPCRs I added a Farmingdale 1863 to my list. I was blaming myself for poor cleaning or some such for misfires. Now that I have seen your info it dawned on me that all my missfires occured when I had managed to seat the paper cartridge enough so that the breech block did not shear off the base of the paper thus leaving the powder covered with a layer of nitrated paper. when the base of the paper was sheared off ( & losing some powdeer) it always fired. guess the re-enactor caps just wont ignite the paper??!
thanks,
CL
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

I laid up ten tins of the CCI Re-enactor four wing musket caps in anticipation of the arrival of my 1863 sporter sometime next year. I was wondering if you cut a small piece of "flash paper" as used by magicians and placed on paper cartridge before closing breach would help with ignition. Just wondering. :?:
Southron Sr.

Post by Southron Sr. »

Get rid of the CCI Re-Enactor caps and get some RWS German Musket Caps. The onew without the "wings" cost approximately half as much as the musket caps with the wings and work just as good!