I seldom have good luck--pardon me for gloating

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

Re: I seldom have good luck--pardon me for gloating

Post by Free_Stater »

Alles kar!

That's what I thought you meant, but "gas cutting" I know intimately well.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

some seam to think 2ffg helps slowdown the erosion. my plate is still good and have been shooting it for 5 years now in the NSSA. I used the bagdon mold for awhile. which is a wadcutter. . makes seeing the 100yrd holes a lot better. And If I remember right it was a ringtail
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
holdover

Post by holdover »

bagdon mold came with two base plugs a flat base and a minnie ball base. A ringtail plug could be easily made on a lathe for it. for those with a 50 cal sharps would work well, and with the adjustable bullet length you could work up a wt that your rifle or carbine really likes...
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

holdover wrote:bagdon mold came with two base plugs a flat base and a minnie ball base. A ringtail plug could be easily made on a lathe for it. for those with a 50 cal sharps would work well, and with the adjustable bullet length you could work up a wt that your rifle or carbine really likes...
Did not know that. the one I had did not have a base plug.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

It's here!

And I've put ten rounds through it, using the 65 grain musket load and Minie bullet I've been using in the Military Rifle. I only got to shoot at 20 yards or so, but I could see a group forming. Sort of. :)

After two shots the block froze up tight, but I rather expected that, as the rifle was bone dry. I got the block and channel dampened with some oil I had handy and got on with business. The block froze just about every round, but again, this thing was DRY. It's been sitting in a safe somewhere for over thirty years, after all. Now it's cleaned and correctly lubricated.

Now, after a good cleaning, it's hanging on the rack waiting for the next range trip. The bullets in the package are the "wadcutter" looking thing ya'll were discussing, and the mold is the same. The caps are RWS and they worked, so I don't need to worry about caps for a good while (I have about 1500-1600 of the six-wing CCIs on hand). I'd say there are roughly 900 of the RWS caps in the shooting box that came with my purchase, along with 700 pre cut nitrated paper sheets.

Sheesh, tell the Yankees to invade. I'm ready for them.
Free_Stater

Farmingdale '63 Carbine

Post by Free_Stater »

holdover

Post by holdover »

nice looking carbine, only thing wrong with it is it is not in my gun rack..
holdover

Post by holdover »

holdover wrote:bagdon mold came with two base plugs a flat base and a minnie ball base. A ringtail plug could be easily made on a lathe for it. for those with a 50 cal sharps would work well, and with the adjustable bullet length you could work up a wt that your rifle or carbine really likes...

There was also a Bagdon mold designed for the Sharps commonly referred to as a christmas tree design, where-as the base ring is wider then the next closest to the nose etc. Not sure how many are using it, Tony Bagdon died before it was released and JB Hogdon named the bullet after him. I believe there was a another version in the works. Tony designed the Hogdon bullet, I designed the 50 cal adjustable length, flat and mini based mold, based on the design of the 576-580 hogdon bullet, then Tony designed the Sharps bullet. I have the prototype drawing somewhere around the house that he faxed to me in about 2000 of the Sharps bullet.
Southron Sr.

Post by Southron Sr. »

I have had my Pedersoli Sharps Carbine for a dozen years now, fired several thousands rounds thru it in Rapid Fire Matches and HAVE NEVER USED LOOSE POWDER IN IT, only cartridges. I have some cavitation in the face of my breech plate. Sooner or later, I will have to replace it.