I seldom have good luck--pardon me for gloating

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

I seldom have good luck--pardon me for gloating

Post by Free_Stater »

I now have a Farmingdale .54 carbine to go with my Farmingdale MR, and I think I got a pretty good deal, all things considered.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =231856353
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Marathonman

Re: I seldom have good luck--pardon me for gloating

Post by Marathonman »

Nice rifle. I still regret selling mine close to that serial number. I had 1848 if you can imagine, same as the patent date.

Congratulations on a fine rifle at a resonable price too!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
madisonvalleywapiti

Post by madisonvalleywapiti »

I saw that rifle and probally would have bid on it had I any gun money! In the process of getting rid of some excess m1 garands and carbines. Looks like a great rifle and bunch of goodies!
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

madisonvalleywapiti wrote:I saw that rifle and probally would have bid on it had I any gun money! In the process of getting rid of some excess m1 garands and carbines. Looks like a great rifle and bunch of goodies!
I now have a sudden excess of Series 70 Colt .45s that are going to have to start traveling to gun shows. And my Ford pickup. And a few other things. You see, I have a new Shiloh Saddle Rifle showing up here in another 4-5 weeks, and I still owe a lot of money on that one. :)

Again, sorry to gloat, but I just never find good deals. The original Shiloh mold and all the other stuff is just gravy, and all of it will work with my 1863 MR.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Go ahead and gloat, Pilgrim! Shows ta go ya that even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while .... ;>)

I've had a couple of similar windfall experiences where I was in the right place at the right time with the money in hand. Other times, the money wan't there and I had to grit my teeth and let it go.
Like all material things, they come and go and all OUR toys will belong to someone else someday. Makes one think, doesn't it?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Are you trying to get into my will, Todd? Hehehehehe

I checked tracking, and the seller should have his money today, which means shipment tomorrow, which means delivery on Tuesday.

I don't know if I can wait that long.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Actually, I was hoping that I could talk you into adopting me ..... ;>)

One of life's great pleasures is the anticipation associated with the acquisition of a long sought after thing. But, remember ...

"Things are better anticipated than enjoyed." William Shakespeare.

Good to see someone acquiring the things that bring joy to his life.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Woody

Post by Woody »

What Todd said. I'm his long lost twin from different parents. Adopt me too. Nice!!!!!

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Free_Stater

Now that I have your attention...

Post by Free_Stater »

I'd like to ask a question or two that might actually improve the general knowledge about Shiloh firearms.

I got a Shiloh catalog a very long time ago, and it became my wish book. Unless I'm mistaken, Shiloh at one time sold things like cast bullets and bullet molds for the 1863, and the package I purchased has some items like that. I'm curious when (and if, my memory sucks) such things were available and when those offerings ended. I don't want to ask in the support forum simply because the answers are for my own education, and once I know those answers I might be able to help someone else.

The 1863 rifles don't get nearly the attention here as the 1874s, but I was fantasizing about a Shiloh 63 back when the company was just getting started.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I believe that the original Farmingdale Shiloh company offered the 'Buffalo Bullet' mould, a semiwadcutter design that was reputed to be deadly on game and accurate in the bargain.
Anyone I know with one will not part with it; hence my request for adoption .....
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

Todd, I have just such a mould that I got with my first 1863 Sporter in 1979. Looks like a masive wad-cutter. I was in a M/L club and (to the dismay of some) I often used my Shiloh. We had a team stake-bust competition in which the club was divided into teams of about 5 on a team. 4X4 stakes were driven in the ground with two stripes painted about a foot apart half way up each one. Basically everyone loaded and shot at their stake again and again until one team succeeded in "busting" their stake between the lines first. I suddenly became very popular in that match- at least by MY team mates, but not the other teams. That .54 wadcutter was devestating in that match. I was never on a losing team. I'm keeping my mould, but there is a chance I may have another somewhere. I'll look and if I come up with an extra one I'll let you know.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Bill, the auction I won has several boxes of factory produced bullets as well. Is it possible that these are also the buffalo bullet?

I was hoping the mold would be the ringtail, but I guess that's not to be. Also, from the looks of the mold, I'm thinking it was manufactured by Rapine. Looks just like the 515450 Rapine I got recently.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Yup, y'er right .... 'twas a full wadcutter design. I never quite understood why that particular design was chosen, but it was what was available at the time.
If'n you do track down another, I'd be interested in knowin' 'bout it .....

Did you guys see the message I posted re: a Canadian 'smith in Regina (Leo Bumphrey) being willing to take on Shiloh warranty/repair work? This is such good news to us north of the Medicine Line!
One of my '63s (a carbine) is on it's way to him as we speak for fitting of a new gas plate and removal of the cavitation on the breech end of the barrel.
I once had a pal fit a new plate to my .50 '63 MR and because the end of the barrel was not taken care of, I wasted my money. It didn't take long for the problem to come back. Now I can get that taken care of without S&H, broker fees, a note from my mother and thumbprint from God.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Cavitation on the breech of the barrel?

Explain, please.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Cavitation, erosion, call it whatever. It occurs when a gas or fluid impinges upon a surface - i.e. gas escaping around an ill-fitting or corroded gas plate in a Sharps '59-'63. Some think it comes about from using loose powder in a percussion Sharps as opposed to paper cartridges.
Think of the gas cutting that occurs on the top strap of a revolver from the barrel/cylinder gap and you'll get the idea.

Another example of "cavitation" is when high speed propellers throw water against metal plates in marine engineering. It's like slow 'water jetting' which can cut through steel like butter.

Alles Klar?