How do you lubricate your block?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Free_Stater

Re: How do you lubricate your block?

Post by Free_Stater »

SHARPSSHOOTER5090 wrote:I melt SPG and pour the cavity in the breach block and gas check full. It eliminates the air space and it takes many many shots before it is melted away. what does melt with each shot keeps the breach block lubricated and sliding easily for a long time. The minimising the air space seams to help with accuracy a bit.

sharpsshooter5090
This is a very old thread, but your method is one I discovered as well, and it's pretty much all I do now. In fact, since I started doing this, I have never had a shooting session interrupted for block cleaning. Not once. Quite simply, I run out of ammunition before I do any cleaning at all. I'm using the DGL lube, but it's the same concept. I think that, based on its consistency, though, the SPG might work a bit better.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

How do I lubricate my blocks?
Eezox. Thin coating dries to the metal. Example of lubrication ... I can cock the finger levers on my '92 Winchesters with my little finger - honest truth!
Regards
John
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Perhaps I'm being simplistic. Among the manufacturing staff at Shiloh who shoot their 1863s, what are the preferences? Better but unlikely, what is their collective preference?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift