Re-Print of Mr.Terry Behm's Marking Cartridges.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Michael P Nowak

Re-Print of Mr.Terry Behm's Marking Cartridges.

Post by Michael P Nowak »

:?: Is there a chance that we could have the re-printing of Mr. Behm"s article on how to construct a paper cartridge. It appears that his article is the foundation of all the other articles in the entire forums. Thank you so much. :D Mike
SharpsShooter

Re: Re-Print of Mr.Terry Behm's Marking Cartridges.

Post by SharpsShooter »

Man I really need one also. i came across a link to his article in an earlier thread but it was a dead end

SS
NRA Life Member Since 1981
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

John Boy wrote:This is for 44 caliber combustible cartridges but the steps are the same except for the powder charge and the bullet ...
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=326.0

Thanks John. That's close enough to get some idea of the direction. I'm picking my new one up Thursday and I am short on info :D

SS
NRA Life Member Since 1981
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

For what it's worth, I make my paper cartridges out of plain copy machine paper. I don't nitrate since people use cardboard tubes, why worry about paper tubes. Tubes for my Shiloh '63 carbine measure 1 1/2" long and I start with a piece of paper 1 1/2" by 1 3/4". I wrap the 1 3/4" side around a 1/2" dowel and then glue the edge with plain white school glue. When dry, I glue the tube to the ring on my ringtail bullet and then, when dry, I fill the tube with 50 grains of GOEX FFG powder. I finally glue a piece of hair curler paper over the end. It sounds like a lot of work but I sit in front of the TV on cold winter nights and make the tubes. Store them in a big jar and then glue up to the bullets when needed. They are not as sturdy as the cardboard tubes but cost next to nothing and shoot out the barrel. At an N-SSA match, I've seen part of the cardboard tube get left in the barrel and to clear the gun at the end of an event, my team mate needed a ramrod to push out the spent tube.

My Shiloh Robinson carbine has a shorter chamber so I cut the tubes a 1/4" shorter or just let the breech cut off the excess tube. That gets messy though, with the loose powder on top of the breech. I also had a Shiloh '63 rifle which had a lot longer chamber so just lengthed my tubes to fit the chamber.

Rich