Differences between Farmington & Big Timber actions/rifles?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Differences between Farmington & Big Timber actions/rifles?

Post by Naphtali »

Are there significant differences in quality control, fit and finish of metal action parts between Farmington and Big Timber Shiloh Sharps 1863s?

Are there significant differences in [design of] 1863 actions when comparing Farmington and Big Timber actions?

Or, to ask essentially the same cluster of questions a little differently, are Farmington and Big Timber Shiloh Sharps 1863 models identical machines with different markings?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Andre

Re: Differences between Farmington & Big Timber actions/rifl

Post by Andre »

Have owned both. My first was a Farmington 50-110. I have a Big Timber 45-70 as well as a couple C. Sharps 75s. From what I had and have seen of the Farmingtons, there is NO comparison in the wood to metal fit and general QC to the Big Timber Guns with the prefix serial nos.

You couldn't get better wood to metal fit if the tree grew around the receiver! Absolutely impeccable craftsmanship!

My C.Sharps are VERY close to the same quality as the Big Timber Shilohs.

My Pedersoli 74 is better than the Farmingtons I have seen, but not close to the C.Sharp and Shilohs.

Andre'
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Both of my 63s are Farmingdale manufacture, while all of my 74s are from Big Timber. I'd have to give the prize for quality to the Big Timber rifles, at least insofar as wood to metal fit is concerned. I don't detect a big difference in the metal work.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

I guess it all depends on a personal experience. I got my 1874 45/70 #1 , brand new in 1983, not marked from out west, superior wood and metal fit, but all paperwork is from "Big Timber". Love It. My 1863 #3 Sporting rifle # is a couple hundred later also from out west, marked Shiloh on the receiver, C Sharps on the barrel, also beautiful workmanship on wood to metal fit. no doubt, they are all superior to the crap being forced upon us by the "writers or whomever those that seem to be taking our money, telling us how good foreign crap smells". I still like the "OLD RELIABLE" stamped on the barrel! Just to me, this is closer to the area, where, the originals were built. NO MATTER WHAT, BUY USA! Jay Y.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

How could I be so stupid, I've complained and complained over the years, "IT IS FARMINGDALE, NEW YORK". A heck of a lot closer. jay Y.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I own both Farmingdale and Big Timber models. I'm happy with both. I do like the 'Old Reliable' on the Farmers. There is a difference in lock work and I have two Farmingdale locks coming back to me after modification.

I've also owned a 45-70 C.Sharps '75 BR that I swapped for a Big Timber '63 Sporter. It shot very well and I couldn't fault the rifle in any way. It just didn't look right .... I sure wouldn't turn up my nose at a C.Sharps '74. 'Sides, it would be marked 'Old Reliable' like my Farmer '74 BR.

I just got back from a trip to the historic sites and forts of southern Alberta where I saw several original rifles in museum collections - Sharps, Spencers, Remingtons, Winchesters, Sniders, etc. Granted they had all seen service in the hands of hunters, Indians, cowboys, NWMP and irregular units of cavalry, but my oldest Farmingdale '63 MR would not have looked out of place alongside them.
The original Sharps and Colts didn't look as good as some current high end repros, showing tool marks and the evidence of hand fitting not always what we've come to expect today.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"