Charlie Hahn's tubes/ringtail bullets

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
snapcap14

Re: Charlie Hahn's tubes/ringtail bullets

Post by snapcap14 »

Check w/ Charlie see what he may have for molds. I had Steve Brooks make a mold to fit Charlies tubes. My Shiloh likes Pure lead the best.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

I've been using a "Brooks" mould for 54 caliber of "Charlie Hahn" design, and a "Rapine" 54 caliber pointed bullet. Both are ringtail bullets and work great with "Charlie" tubes. I've had great accuracy with the same load for both bullets in my "Shiloh" 1863 Sporter. A fun gun to play with! Jay Y.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

For the above post, I guess the Rapine would be called "Christmas Tree" bullet. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier. Jay Y.
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Hey Duane,

I use the Rapine 'christmas tree' style boolit cast at 40/1, works nicely.

I made my Ped boolit, the 525gn one, fit. I just flare the top of the tube with a .50 BMG projectile, carefully. Then run a bead of glue around the flared section and seat the Pedersoli boolit on top.

Have fun mate,

Mike
Southron Sr.

Post by Southron Sr. »

I have been shooting Sharps Carbines that use paper cartridges longer than I can remember. You just make up your ammo using paper cartridges and then stick them in the chamber-add a percussion cap and everything goes KER-BOOOOOMMMM! when you pull the trigger.

Best of all, no extraction difficulties.

Seriously, government tests in the late 1850's indicated that paper cartridges that fit the chamber WITHOUT REQUIRING THAT THE END [of the cartridge] BEING CUT OFF BY THE CLOSING OF THE BREECH BLOCK were more accurate.

Originally the U.S. Army issued paper cartridges but switched over to linen cartridges because the paper ones had a tendency to break open if left for a long time in trooper's cartridges boxes on long, mounted patrols. The use of linin cartridges solved this problem.