Shiloh .54 mold

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
elee

Shiloh .54 mold

Post by elee »

Hello All; I recently purchased a .54 bullet mold on Ebay. It is a Shiloh mold, style G, labeled .543 dia. Solid base conical with a flat nose (.299 across the flat). Bullet weight is 497.5 g. when cast in 30-1. There are three driving bands. The rear band is flat and measures .545 dia. when cast in 30-1. The other two bands are traditional angled "scraper" bands, making this a traditional looking flat base bullet (not hollow base). I bought it in the hopes it would fit my 1863 shiloh, but it is just a hair too wide and does not fully seat in the chamber, preventing a full charge from being loaded. My '63 carbine requires a bullet with a .541 rear band. So, I am wondering if perhaps any of you folks could use it? I am not offering to sell it, for fear of breaking forum rules...but I would be willing to trade it..hopefully for any .54 conical mold with a rear driving band measuring .541. Shiloh molds are hard to find! This one is in perfect shape, aluminum blocks, in the original Shiloh box, with handles. I would entertain any fair trade for '63 shiloh related stuff, what have you got? Hopefully someone can use this nice mold!
Edward Lee
snapcap14

Re: Shiloh .54 mold

Post by snapcap14 »

?? HOW MUCH POWDER YOU TRYING TO GET IN IT. ?? MINE LIKES ANYTHING FROM 38 TO 54 OF 2FF DEPENDING ON WHO'S POWDER i USE, FOR TARGET OUT TO 100 YRDS.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
elee

Post by elee »

This bullet does not seat fully in the chamber of my '63 Shiloh. The forward band rests against the front of the chamber, allowing only about 30 g FF powder to fill the chamber. If it was about 3 thou. smaller, it would be good...but as it is it is of no use to me. I would like to shoot at least 60 g. FF. If no one is interested, I will re-ebay it. Thanks...
Elee
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

If you like the bullet. an option would be to get a sizing die from Northeast trader.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I have a Shiloh "Buffalo" bullet mold made by Rapine, which looks like a really big wadcutter pistol bullet. The bullet's length limits me to 60 grains of powder, but in testing on things like lumber, the impact is absolutely devastating. I'm looking for a "ring tail" mold but without any luck. I don't want the Pedersoli, as the bullet is heavier than I want. If I found one, I'd be a happy camper. Thinking about calling Brooks, as they make one.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
elee

Post by elee »

The sizing die is a good idea I would like to follow up. Does anyone have the correct web address for Northeast Traders? When I search I get a site that has no mention of sizing dies. Do they make a .541 die for Lyman/RCBS lubricators? Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!
Elee
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Best to call John. A lot of his items are not on his site. he makes his to fit a std 7/8 - 14 reloading press for a RCBS/Lyman type I would Try S & S Firearms.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA