Are sling ring and bar usable on all 1863s?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Naphtali

Are sling ring and bar usable on all 1863s?

Post by Naphtali »

Cavalry carbines often are equipped with a bar and sling ring. Can this assembly be installed and/or removed from cavalry carbines without issue? If it can, are action-lock plate parts needed that must be ordered from Shiloh?

Can this bar and sling ring assembly be retrofitted to, for example, 1863 infantry rifles without drilling holes? Again, are action-lock plate parts needed that must be ordered from Shiloh?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Kirk

Re: Are sling ring and bar usable on all 1863s?

Post by Kirk »

It fits in a hole drilled in the reciever and then inletted into the wood. An existing rifle can be fitted with one, but it's not something that you buy and then bolt on.

Kirk
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Hi, Can't answer about the sling ring, but in the late 1980's we were "doing over" an original 1874 Business rifle in 40 1 & 11\16 that was in exceptional condition, other than lock and breach bolt parts that had been "pirated" many years ago to repair "something apparently better". We ordered the needed parts from Shiloh, as I recall the only lock part left was the lock plate. Everything just fell into place except the mainspring that just needed a little "massage" with a file to slide right in place. Within the past year, a close friend came upon an original 1874 re barreled to 45\110 that had also fallen prey to the "pirates" many years ago. (an 18 pounder") that was missing the lever and breech bolt completely. He told me he had gotten the new parts from Big Timber, never said witch one, and they fell right in with the minimum amount of work. In the late 1970's I had an 1863 52 cal. carbine in need of some small parts, after begging and pleading with "Wolf", he reluctantly sent them to me, and said "don't try to order a 1863 or any more parts 'til I get caught up, about 5 years. That's about how long it took to get my first "Shiloh". Well worth the wait, still have it. From all I've seen, the Big Timber parts are as good, or much better, no, greatly better than the originals. It's great to know, these folks can supply all the parts you need to keep a "Legend" going...... Jay Y.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Kirk wrote:It fits in a hole drilled in the reciever and then inletted into the wood. An existing rifle can be fitted with one, but it's not something that you buy and then bolt on.

Kirk
Kirk:

Then Shiloh cavalry carbine 1863s have a hole drilled in the left side of their receivers that your infantry rifles do not? If this is accurate, would I be correct that to remove the bar-sling assembly, there is available a plug screw of some sort to render the receiver's hole "neutralized?" Or does an existing screw or pin, entering the receiver from the right side need to be replaced by another sufficiently long to plug a carbine's bar-sling hole?

Am I correct that there is no elegant way to address the butt stock's inletting to accommodate the bar-sling assembly, that the only way to address that issue is butt stock replacement - unless the owner has no objection to a major eyesore?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

If you are removeing it then do like they did in the old days, plug the slot in the wood with a wooden plug and make a steel plug that goes into the reciever hole and suck it in with the existing screw from the inside that was holding the slig bar.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:Hi, Can't answer about the sling ring, but in the late 1980's we were "doing over" an original 1874 Business rifle in 40 1 & 11\16 that was in exceptional condition, other than lock and breach bolt parts that had been "pirated" many years ago to repair "something apparently better". We ordered the needed parts from Shiloh, as I recall the only lock part left was the lock plate. Everything just fell into place except the mainspring that just needed a little "massage" with a file to slide right in place. Within the past year, a close friend came upon an original 1874 re barreled to 45\110 that had also fallen prey to the "pirates" many years ago. (an 18 pounder") that was missing the lever and breech bolt completely. He told me he had gotten the new parts from Big Timber, never said whitch one, and they fell right in with the minimum amount of work. In the late 1970's I had an 1863 52 cal. carbine in need of some small parts, after begging and pleading with "Wolf", he reluctantly sent them to me, and said "don't try to order a 1863 or any more parts 'til I get caught up, about 5 years. That's about how long it took to get my first "Shiloh". Well worth the wait, still have it. From all I've seen, the Big Timber parts are as good, or much better, no, greatly better than the originals. It's great to know, these folks can supply all the parts you need to keep a "Legend" going...... Jay Y.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

So sorry for the double post. Was just trying to edit my earlier post by correcting my spelling on the second post. The word "which" was miss spelled on both entries. Sorry, Jay Y.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Having both a '63 carbine with the saddle ring/bar and a 50-70 carbine without, I gotta ask why any one would want the sling bar/ring? It rattles, gets in the way of right handed grip and makes it difficult for a lefty. Looks really cool, but ......

For a guy that's a military reenacator, it makes sense. For a hunter, no. My MRs (one a '63, t'other a 50-70) have useful sling swivels.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"