63 Sharps for hunting

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Amigo

63 Sharps for hunting

Post by Amigo »

Hi
I m about to send in an order to have a 63 built primarily for hunting and would like some feedback on what some other people would like in 63 Sharps for that purpose .Here s what I came up with:

63 Sporter
26 inch half oct barrel
45 cal with the same twist as in the centerfires of that cal. (I had a 45 cal in a military rifle and it was a lot more accurate then a couple of 54 cals that I have owned.Also I have a ton of 45cal moulds in variour grain weights and styles)
Shotguh butt with traditional steel buttplate
Semi buckhorn rear sight and blade front
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Free_Stater

Re: 63 Sharps for hunting

Post by Free_Stater »

That sounds like a really good combination of features, Amigo, and it should do a great job for you. I might go with the .50, but having lots of .45-caliber moulds already on hand would send me towards the smaller caliber as well.

The rifle you're talking about is nearly identical to the 50-70 caliber 1874 Saddle Rifle I recently received, and I had it built for the same purposes you are getting your 63. The one thing I'd be uncertain about would be what length of chamber to go with. I'm not sure what options are available there, but a .45 with 80-100 grains of powder behind it would probably stop a freight train should you be attacked by one in the deep woods. I'm sure it would also drop an elk or moose, come to think of it.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Southron Sr.

Re: 63 Sharps for hunting

Post by Southron Sr. »

When I was in the gun business back in the 1970's, we sold a lot of the replica Hawken Rifles. It was almost a "Rule of Thumb" that the Hawkens we sold to dealers EAST of the Mississippi River were usually .45 or .50 Caliber. The Hawkens we sold WEST of the Mississippi River were in .54 or .58 caliber because of the larger game animals "Out West" here in the U.S.

As you have some fairly good size critters in Canada, I would recommend going for the .54 caliber Sharps. I think you will be well pleased with both the accuracy and "Knock Down Power" of a .54 caliber Sharps.