farmingdale 1863

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Scott S

farmingdale 1863

Post by Scott S »

friends. I purchased a shiloh percussion around 1979 in 54 cal.It has a 1-54 twist as measured on a tight patch
on a dewey rod. I called shiloh and they said records for this gun have been destroyed.
I would like your thoughts on re barrelling to a 50cal by shiloh,and what twist?
I think 80 grain charge would do well in paper cartridge,but what do you think?
yours scott
may you never double charge your droptube
snapcap14

Re: farmingdale 1863

Post by snapcap14 »

Why do you want to change it to a 50??. have you shot it and see that rate of twist as a problem?? Before putting a new barrel on it, I would talk to Bobby Hoyt or Dan Whiticher ( not sure of Dan's last name spelling) about a reline. It would cost a lot less to do, I have a few Bobby has done for me. You have to look real close to see its been lined and after a while you can not tell at all. He would also be able to give you a suggest on twist. I would also talk to Charlie Hahn about what to shoot in it. I shot a 54 and it is a tack driver. I shot a modified Brooks Bullet w/ 44 grn of 3fff for target.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

IMHO, you have the best of the best for that caliber, model and era. Seems if any records were available, "C Sharps" might have them, as they were in cahoots with Wolf Droedge at the time. My 1863 54 sporter is from the 1983 era, and boy, it can shoot! I use "Charlies Tubes" in several different lengths, "for lite, medium, and heavy loads" and a Rapine Ring tail along with a Steve Brooks "Charlie Hahn" designed bullet. I'd think twice about "rebarreling" , and if'n the bore is bad, A RELINE. JMHO
Jay Y.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

thanks guys as you know there is a better selection of bullets in 50cal.
and a bit softer on the shoulder than a 54 with 110 gr of 2fg.
I guess I am gettin old !
scott
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

?? Why Do you want to shoot 110 gr?? I target shoot w/ 44, hunt w/ 70 recoil is not a problem! I personally do not think you will really tell the diff in a 50 from a 54. Not sure about selection of bullets 50 vs 54. Every one I know shoots the 54. If you are going to shoot a lot you can have any mold you want made. I know nei has a very light 54 for the sharps I shot it for awhile good bullet. stopped using Just do to the fact I was using more filler than powder. Gave some to a friend to try. he also liked it, and according to him it is based on the confederate design sharps bullet.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

I dont like to use fillers, but like to have the link to CHARLIES TUBES.
plus I may look into another mould as this gun likes a coffie can bullett I got
from c sharps in 73. it is very soft aluminum and is galling at the sprue plate.
and wont live much longer(I know how to use molds but nuthin works to stop it)
thanks scott
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

cHARLIE WILL PROBABLE CHIME IN HERE AT SOME POINT. DO NOT HAVE A LINK BUT WIL POST HIS EMAIL ADDRESS AND PM YOU W/ HIS PHONE #. YOU MAY ALSO DO A SEARCH ON HERE AND GET HIS CONTACT INFO HE IS A MEMBER
BROOKS MAKES SEVERAL MOLD YOU CAN USE. afew he made for charlie and 1 he made for me. also NEI has several
can you send me a photo of the coffee can mold? If it is the one I'm thinking it is I would like to try it. I could swap some of the brooks bullets for some of yours.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

" Experience is the best Teacher". Jay Y.
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Howdy,

1:54??? I haven't sent one that slow, but you never know. The service charge for these gun was 64 grains 2 fg, still heavy for paper target shooting. As for filler, using my tubes, it is optional with varied charges, so that can be taken out of the issues.

As for twist on a re-line, if you go that way I have two to consider, straight twist of 1:36 six groove. Likes a 490/520 grain bullet with 38/45 grains of 2 fg Swiss, 10 percent more for Goex. The other option is a 1:36 to 1:24 gain twist with five grooves. Likes the same bullet with 30/35 grains of 2 fg Swiss, Goex not tested. Charges can be lower and still work. I have threenof these in the field in carbine, and one rifle.

Charlie Hahn
Charlie Hahn