1863 Military

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

1863 Military

Post by klw »

I'm starting to think about buying one of these someday. What I'd like to know is who makes a good cast bullet mould, what that bullet might weigh in pure lead and what the corresponding powder charge would be.
Free_Stater

Re: 1863 Military

Post by Free_Stater »

I have a .54-caliber Lee hollow base Minie bullet that weighs in at around 420 grains, which I load over 60 grains of FFG in paper combustible cartridges. I can use these in either my 63 rifle or carbine (both Farmingdale manufacture).

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
klw

Post by klw »

That was really helpful. Thank you!
Southron Sr.

Post by Southron Sr. »

One of the "Best" Sharps bullets ever designed is the "Xmas Tree Bullet" that was made by Lyman for years. I don't know if they have put it back in their mould line-up or not.

Also, the Pedersoli Sharps Mould is a good one. That mould is available from Dixie Gun Works.

I make "combustible" cartridges for my replica New Model 1859 Sharps carbine. I use the Ladie's Hair Curling papers available from any Beauty Shop supply store. I paid about $10.00 for a carton of 10,000 papers. Best of all, they come the right size and don't have to be nitrated.

I find that 40 Grains of Schutzen FFFg Black Powder and the Pedersoli bullet produces exceptional accuracy in my replica Pedersoli Sharps.