chamber length haghn tubes

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
'74

chamber length haghn tubes

Post by '74 »

for purposes of ordering tubes from Shiloh I was wondering if anyone knows what is the correct length tube for a .54 '63 carbine (Farmingdale) and a '63 Berdan Sharps.

Thanks

Gary
snapcap14

Re: chamber length haghn tubes

Post by snapcap14 »

you will need to seat a bullet then measure your breach. that is the lenght you will need. if you change bullet design you may need a diffrent lenght tube. my 54 uses a 1.8" tube w/ the bullet I am using..
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Hi Gary,

I have an early Farmer Sporting rifle in .54 too mate.

I use Charlie's tubes in 1.8" and the 2" sizes.

I use the 1.8" tube with the Sharps ringtail bullet with 78gn of Wano PP.

I use the 2" tube as a 'charge bag', that is, I will fill the tube with powder and seal both ends. The bullet I use for this method is the Buffalo wadcutter shaped bullet. I use a short starter to seat the buffalo bullet into the rifling, then insert my 2" tube. I have used this for hunting and have knocked down donkeys and several camels with this load.

I use a 1:30 lead tin ratio and lube with SPG. I still have a good supply of the discontinued CCI extra power caps.

Hope this helps mate.

Mike
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

YES THEY DO. WITH LOOSE POWDER I THINK YOU CAN GET ABOUT 120 GRN. IN THEM. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. MORE THAN I WOULD WANT TO SHOOT!
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

I had been unaware that Mr. Hahn offered two-inch tubes. Would I be correct that, within broad limits, he will supply tubes to buyer's specification - assuming the buyer orders at least [fill in the blank] tubes?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I hav charlies email address if you need it. I know mine were made from 1.875 tubes. I do think he will do custom lengths if you need them. but delevery will be longer. I did cut some down myself w/ a drumel and cut off wheel.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

snapcap14 wrote:I hav charlies email address if you need it. I know mine were made from 1.875 tubes. I do think he will do custom lengths if you need them. but delevery will be longer. I did cut some down myself w/ a drumel and cut off wheel.
I spoke to Mr. Hahn. He will create essentially ANY tube length a buyer would prefer.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Just some information, currently I stock the following length tubes,

.875, 1.0, 1.2, 1.25, 1.375, 1.5, 1.625, 1.875, and 2.0.

My email address is charlie.w.hahn@gmail.com. I also have a web site in the near future that will cover sizing, loading, and other information on my tubes and modification I offer to improve the function and down range performance of the percussion Sharps carbines and rifles.

I can always be reached at 410-208-4736 for questions, I am located in Maryland.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
Charlie Hahn
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Thanks for your info Charlie. I use your 1.875 inch tubes and knowing your just in Maryland! I will have to place my order directly with you. Your info is now in my cell phone :wink:
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill »

varsity07840 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 am
'63 Shiloh wrote:Hi Gary,

I have an early Farmer Sporting rifle in .54 too mate.

I use Charlie's tubes in 1.8" and the 2" sizes.

I use the 1.8" tube with the Sharps ringtail bullet with 78gn of Wano PP.

I use the 2" tube as a 'charge bag', that is, I will fill the tube with powder and seal both ends. The bullet I use for this method is the Buffalo wadcutter shaped bullet. I use a short starter to seat the buffalo bullet into the rifling, then insert my 2" tube. I have used this for hunting and have knocked down donkeys and several camels with this load.

I use a 1:30 lead tin ratio and lube with SPG. I still have a good supply of the discontinued CCI extra power caps.

Hope this helps mate.

Mike
Those Shilos must have huge chambers!

Duane
I have a 50 caliber and find 50 grains of fff shoots very comfortably. I found 60 grains to be uncomfortable. 40 - 45 shoots nicely also.
Happy Shooting!!! :D