paper for paper cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Silverman

paper for paper cartridges

Post by Silverman »

I shoot and reload a Shiloh in 45-90 and I've become interested in the model 1863. I was curious about what kind of paper is used and what can be used. I see that there is paper from Buffalo arms. I also read where someone uses hair coloring/hair curling papers. Could one use typing paper, newspaper or cigarette papers? Thanks. Hope these questions aren't too strange.
ss
Rich Siegel

Re: paper for paper cartridges

Post by Rich Siegel »

Cigarette paper is to weak, the cartridge will fall apart in the rain. I started using nitrated copy machine paper with hair curler paper glued on the end as a cap. Worked very well and could take rough handling. I then realized that the nitrated paper was not necessary so I now just make the paper tubes out of simple copy paper. Still use the hair curler paper end cap. No problems and take the abuse given during an N-SSA timed fire events.

Rich
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I agree and do as Rick posted. But I also use Charlies Tubes.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
SharpsShooter

Post by SharpsShooter »

snapcap14 wrote:But I also use Charlies Tubes.
I am new to fooling with the 63. Do those tubes simply disintegrate upon firing? I ended up with 400 of them with the rifle I bought. Also what glue is recommended to secure the ringtail bullet to the tube?

SS

NRA Life Member Since 1981
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

THEY GO OUT THE BARREL AND FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY! SOME GUYS ON MY TEAM COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. IT DISTRACTS THEM . ANY PAPER GLUE STICKS WORKS. i ACTUALLY USE WATER GLASS AT THIS TIME.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

The guys are right about cigarette rolling papers( they do get wet in the rain). But I use them away. Yes you can go with that type of paper or this type etc etc. But the cigarette papers are all over when you need to purchase more I use'em in my 63 rifle and I use'em in my Colts / Remington"s side arms. Mike
jmr600

Post by jmr600 »

i been using the SUBWAY paper they wrap their subs in. it is stout enough and burns up pretty nice.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Hair perm papers workbetter and alot cheaper than cig paper.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello Snap Cap: A good question for you. I just purchased off an auction site a New Model 1863 Carbine (Shiloh) I also use the female Prem paperss. What is a good load to start with in the carbine. My powder is Goex. And bullet is a .54cal coming out of a Brooks Mould. The same as my 63 Rifle. Just point me in the right direction please. Thank you sir. Mike
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

I'm using 43 grains of FFG Swiss powder. Also, use Charlie Hahn's tubes with the perm papers. Was shooting the same powder load in FFG and noticed less than a 1 inch change at fifty yards.
N-SSA
TW-136
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

I'm using 43 grains of FFG Swiss powder. Also, use Charlie Hahn's tubes with the perm papers. Was shooting the same powder load in FFG and noticed less than a 1 inch change at fifty yards.
N-SSA
TW-136
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I'm now down to 39grn 2ffg goex . w/ charlies tubes. have not tested other papers yet. but when I was using 42 grn. it did not matter perm paper charlies tubes. or adding machine paper. I'm using a bullet that fits charlies tubes that Steve Brooks made for me.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA