63 Loading Pros & Cons

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Frank

63 Loading Pros & Cons

Post by Frank »

On a 54 cal does it damage the chamber any by seating the bullet then pouring the powder in the chamber or is better for the chamber to use nitrate paper or tubes on the bullet?

Frank
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
PanaDP

Re: 63 Loading Pros & Cons

Post by PanaDP »

Makes no difference at all to the gun. The paper is purely for carrying and loading convenience.
-Chris
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I predict that after loading and firing your 63 that way a couple of times, you'll either order some Hahn's tubes or start making paper cartridges. Loading loose powder in a 63 is clumsy, slow, and generally not an exercise in convenience. I've tried it--once.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I agree w/ free stater. there is another method you can try. several sutlers sell plastic tubes that will hold powder and bullet. You push the tube in give it a twist and remove. I have them use them when practices. but use charlies tubes in matches.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

You can't do this with loose powder. (And yes, I know I miscalculated the time it took to fire the five rounds, but it's a heck of a lot faster than loading and firing a front feeder.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jbf6esgk0Q
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

In the video, I noticed that you prudently gave a puff into the chamber before inserting the next round - good idea! Especially with nitrated paper.
I gave up with nitrating paper as I use an onion skin that is virtually burned up. With printer paper, I get a little strip where the glue was.
If you get one of the musket cappers, you will shave a little time off your speed. I use one all the time as I find it more efficient than fumbling loose caps.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

Todd, I have several cappers but forgot to dig one out before I got started. My bad.

And yes I give a quick puff usually followed by a quick visual inspection. It has become second nature to me.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I've never experienced a paper cartridge detonating from burning residue in the chamber from the previous round, and I don't want to.
Nor have I ever read any historical accounts of it happening. Since the barrel is open at both ends, the blast would not be contained, the main danger being to one's hands and eyes.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I've very rarely found paper in my chamber, but sometimes there'll be some in the bore, which is why I do a visual check. I'm sure I've blown some of it out with subsequent rounds, but why not take the extra second and a half it requires to blow it out with a quick puff of breath and save myself from discovering something I don't like?
SHARPS4953

Post by SHARPS4953 »

buy some TrueWave end papers from Amazon, no need to nitrate..glue ..roll twist the end and your done...best thing since brass cartriges
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

End papers work well, though you do have to watch it when rolling so that you don't crush the tube. I got mine from the local beauty supply place; the box held 2,000 papers and cost me about two bucks. Can't say they're overpriced, can you?