Need Advice for ordering a 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
tljack

Need Advice for ordering a 63

Post by tljack »

Now that Lucinda has finally announced that Shilo is going to run some 63 barrels, I am planning to order a new rifle.

I currently have 2 nice original Sharps 63 carbines. One is all original and one is converted to 50-70. Also have a Shilo 74 in 40-65, A Perdersoli 74 in 45-70 and a ArmiSport Berdan Sharp Shooter Army.

I plan to use the new rifle for fun, target shooting. Most of this will be done up to 200 yds but occassionally to 1/2 mile of more.

Would some of you mind sharing your ideas on what you wish you would have done or simply general suggestions.

Thanks ahead of time.

Terry
PanaDP

Re: Need Advice for ordering a 63

Post by PanaDP »

If I was going to have a percussion sharps made, it would be .54 and a replica of a Berdan sharps.
-Chris
tljack

Post by tljack »

Chris,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I have a real nice Christmas tree 54 cal mold so am pretty sure I will go with that. I don't think I want a carbine so I am torn between the sporter and Berdan. Hey, I know, just order one of each. :lol:

Terry
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I currently own two '63 Shiloh percussion rifles - a Farmingdale Military Rifle and a Big Timber carbine; both in .50 calibre.

I did have a current '63 Sporter in .54, but traded it for an antique Webley-Pryse revolver and a modern .44/.45 Kirst conversion Remington.
Why? The .54 had a 100 gr powder chamber! That's a lot "Boom!" behind a .54 Xmas Tree bullet! I quickly found out that I didn't like messing with fillers, but Charlie Hahn's tubes solved that problem.

But - I still enjoyed the .50s more, especially since I have two 50-70s; again a carbine and a Military Rifle. I use the same bullets in all.
Considering the Berdan rifles were .52s, not .54s and a .50 calibre bullet gets sized to .512 for the .510 Shiloh bores, you are pretty close to original in calibre. Plus, you have 60 gr powder chambers (at least in mine), a more reasonable charge. Yes, they reach out to 200 yards just fine.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
tljack

Post by tljack »

Todd,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 50 does sound nice as I have molds for that caliber also.

Do you have any suggestions about sights? Would I benifit from anything other than what comes on the gun? Is there anything else you can think of I may want to consider?

As mentioned before, I have 2 original 1863 carbines. One is 50 caliber and the other has been converted to 50-70 cartridge. Both are in very good condition and I have shot them. The sights on them seem to be just fine. I want to get a Shilo because of the quality and I really think my originals need to be preserved for the future.

Thanks again,

Terry
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Terry

I've been quite happy with the Lawrence ladder sights on my .50 '63s and '74s. However, on the new carbine, I did square the bottom of the rear sight and shaved off a tad from the silver blade front. Now it prints 4" high at 50 offhand and right on POA at 100 from a sitting position - perfect for hunting!

You might want to consider DSTs, but I'm fine with the good single triggers on mine. Likewise the military butt. The .50s don't kick hard enough to warrant a shotgun butt.

I envy your originals. Enjoy them!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
tljack

Post by tljack »

Todd,

I really appreciate your time and input. It will help me in deciding what to order. Kirk and Lucinda are out until Thursday. I was told yesterday buy Shilo employee, not to rocrastinate in placing my order as they are not going to wait long before doing the limited run of round barrels.

Terry
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Let us know what you decide to order. 'You pays you money - you takes you choice'.
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello sir: Good morning to you. I have and shoot a 1863 .54 cal Berdan Military Sharps .My rifle has one extra item added and that is double set triggers that I order when I was ordering from the folks at Shiloh. And yes there was a yankee that had a set-up like that. So tell us how are you going to your new Sharps? NO matter how it is built you will enjoy it. Since I received my Sharps 63 over a year ago, I haven't picked my Whitworth in that time period! Any ways enjoy and have a lot of fun sir. Michael P. Nowak
tljack

Post by tljack »

Michael,

Thank you for taking time to provide me with your input. I will mostly be shooting my rifle at targets and gongs from 50 to 300 yards.
Having double set triggers on the Berdan does make it realistic. I have a friend who is lucky enough to own one of the real Berdans and it has a double set trigger. I also have a reproduction of the Berdan and it to has them.

I was thinking about ordering a rifle with real fancy wood but in doing a little research I see that ouly a dozen of the sporting rifles ever made it into civilian hands and they were Army rejects. I think it is safe to guess they have basic stocks like my 2 original Sharps carbines.

Terry