A conversion 1863 model action diagram of parts?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Maj. Forrest Smith

A conversion 1863 model action diagram of parts?

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Hi, does anyone have a diagram and describtion of an originnal 1863 cnversion action. I want to know what the slot is for under the nipple area and what is the strip of metal under the hammer section is? (looks like a spring?) Thanks! Major
Free_Stater

Re: A conversion 1863 model action diagram of parts?

Post by Free_Stater »

Not sure what slot you're speaking of, but the "spring" is actually the top of the Lawrence priming system. As built, the hammer has a stud that runs down that opening; the stud impacts a wafer type primer held in a spring loaded magazine and accelerates the wafer forward, where the hammer catches it on the nipple in mid air. I believe most soldiers just used regular musket caps, though the automatic priming system did work. When doing the 50-70 conversions, there was really no way nor reason to get rid of the priming system, so it was left intact. The block, barrel and hammer were replaced and an extractor cut added to the action to accommodate the cartridge rim.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Maj. Forrest Smith

Re: A conversion 1863 model action diagram of parts?

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Thank you, that was driving me nuts. There is a slot running up and down in front of the hammer, that may have been an indicator of how many primers in the self loading part of the system there was. Just guessing there. You explained it well! Thanks! Major