Powder load and type(grain wt) 63 Carbine.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Michael P Nowak

Powder load and type(grain wt) 63 Carbine.

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello Guys: Just a couple of weeks ago I picked up an 1863 New Model Shiloh Sharps Carbine (Farmingdale New York).Maybe less then 50 rds fired from her from the original owner? How I'm the second owner of this Carbine. Guys my question is this. I use GOEX BP. Should I use 2F or 3F and what gain wt should I put in my paper cartridges. Cal. is 54 and I'm using a Brooks mould the same that I use for my 63 rifle. Its a ring tail bullet. Any and all help is needed. Thank you everybody in advance. Mike . One last item my bullets are all 100% lead no alloy such as 30 to 1 etc, etc. I'm not a competition shooter. Just like to put a few rds. down range that's it.
lmcmahon

Re: Powder load and type(grain wt) 63 Carbine.

Post by lmcmahon »

Do a search on this site for the topic 'care and feeding a Shiloh 1863 carbine'. There is an abundance of information here from owners and great information from Charlie Hahn's different post.
N-SSA
TW-136
Michael P Nowak

Thank you.
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

I'm using FFG and getting good results, so no reason to try something else. I also have good luck with American Pioneer, though it doesn't give as much power, just ridiculously easy to clean. I use a regular volume measure and have now gotten up to around 63 grains of the FF. Shoots great, of course.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I'm shooting 39 of goex 2ffg w/ brooks bullet and charlies tubes. no filler. gluing a cardboard disc in to hold powder in place.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
4570sharps

Post by 4570sharps »

Hey I used to load my carbine with 50 grs. goex FFg and a Rapine ringtail bullet. I dipped them in homemade
lube ( beeswax & crisco ) Used onionskin paper nitrated, and it would shoot one ragged hole at 50 yrds.
My carbine had the short chamber, so 50 grs. was about the limit.
Michael P Nowak

Thank you all: Thanks everybody for the quick replies to my question. All good. Mike
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

I find that 2fg works well, and I like SWISS powder. GOEX also works but you will need do extra cleaning to keep your gun running. 50 to 100 yards with bullet you have I would suggest the following.

SWISS 38 to 42 grains 2f

GOEX 40 to 45 grains 2f

If you feel the need and want to use 3f in either brand reduce by 3 grains, but you are going to see erosion at a faster rate.

Here is my web sight for other information you may find useful, charliestubes.com

I am usually available for a chat, located on the East Coast.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736
Charlie Hahn