How to use Lubriplate on the block?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Michael P Nowak

How to use Lubriplate on the block?

Post by Michael P Nowak »

Hello guys: In the forum somewhere a fella said that he has been using Lubriplate grease for over ten years on his block. So with that kind of endosement I brought a can. My question is how do I apply it and the key question (how much to apply) and where. Another guy was talking about the use of Pam-the no stick cooking spray. Again how/where to use and apply this product. My weapon is an Early model 1863 Farmington Sharps Carbine in .54 cal. Any and all help would be great and a kind Thank you all in advance. M P Nowak. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :D :D
Michael P Nowak

Re: How to use Lubriplate on the block?

John Boy: Hello I do not understand what you are trying to tell me. I never heard of those two (2) products. Mike 8)
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Michael: I am real new to the art of '63 shooters, I have a 50cal, I may have done it wrong but had no problems when I fired mine. I removed the fire block and covered the slides with automotive anti seize, then I put the luberplate over that, the excess I just wiped off after reasembly, the pam cooking spray I sprayed on the face of the block inbetween shots. I am sure there there are better ways of doing it, Charlie Hahn has allot of infomation on the '63 but for some reason i have been unable to get on his website, but he talked me through it , and told me where i could have bullets cast for me. I only shot mine 5 times but had no seizing problems. I compleatly disasebbled mine & checked it before fireing, mine is a military style, there was some unfired powder between the hand stock & barrel, sure glad Charlie hade me check it. I hope this helps.
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

I use Extreme High Pressure Grease -- P/N 1392K31 ordered from http://www.mcmaster.com
I put a light coat of this grease on the block faces.
N-SSA
TW-136
Michael P Nowak

:D Thank you guys you are all great. Alvin, Imcmahon and John Boy thanks alot. All great information that was given and the exact effort in the web sites. Not only did you help me but I'm sure you guys helped alot of other 63 shooters. To all three A BIG THANK YOU. Mike :D 8)
holdover

Post by holdover »

read about my experiment for 2012. I may be the one who posted about using lubriplate, and have been using it for over 10 years in my sharps and for over 50 yrs in just about everything that needs to move. Last year I had Charlie Haun do the O ring job on my sharps, not so much for sealing but because the breech was eroded. I bought it used over 8 yrs ago, it is a 900 serial # farmer that when I bought it , it was that way. I shot it for 6 years with the erosion not expanding much. Charlie putting in the insert did away with that problem as well as made a better seal. This year I decided to do an experiment. A friend told me about filling the breech block with Red High temp silicone that you can buy in an auto store, to reduce the blow-by between the block and breech plate. The way you do it is remove the plate from the block, clean the block and plate so it is absolutely clean and put a thin coat of silcone on the block side of the plate, align it up and clamp it tight overnight, check that it fits in the action and then fill the void in the breech with silicone level with the breech face. I placed a toothpick so it would not go into the primer hole. When all was set I took a exacto knife and cleaned the excess off, put lubriplate on the block and reinstalled it. I did this in March of 2012 and fired the whole season, well over 500 rounds in N-SSA competition, WITHOUT removing the breechblock and regreasing it, there was no need to, it opened without binding the whole season, one finger is all it takes. The nationals were 1st week in Oct so it is time to lay the Sharps up for the winter, when I pulled the breechblock there was some erosion of the silicone but not much, the plate was still firmly attached, I'm just going to clean it up and add more. In near 20 years of shooting Sharps rifles and carbines, this is the best it has ever been. Charlie can make a solid breechblock for you that might do the same. BTW I use 50 grains of Swiss 3F a 1.2" CH tube and a Rapine ringtail, it is a tack driver at 50 & 100. Try it, you might like the results, I do!