Bullet Lubing 101

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
lastchip

Bullet Lubing 101

Post by lastchip »

I'm certain this is a basic BP 101 question, but I can find no "how to" searching the Internet for what is most likely a very simple process and a mystery to a new to BP shooter, such as myself ...."How do you properly lube a bullet?".... I'll be shooting a Shiloh Sharps 63 rifle, using christmas tree bullets. I'll be taking a crack at making paper cartages, using Yore shell & tube cartridges and Charlie Huhn Cartridges.

Do you lube the hold bullet, excluding the base or lube only the rings, do you pack the ring full of lube? I see people mention dipping their bullets in lube, as if they melted their lube to a liquid, do they? I've seen a photo or two of paper tube loaded cartages looking like they've been lubed halfway down the tube, does the lube soak though the tube and effect the powder?

Thank Gents
David
lmcmahon

Re: Bullet Lubing 101

Post by lmcmahon »

I may be a little overboard in how i do mine, but I use a small pait brush and just paint the lube on the rings(grooves). Some just dip the bullet in hot lube. Painting it on makes for a neater job, IMHO. I roll the bullet on the paint brush to get a even coat.
N-SSA
TW-136
lastchip

Post by lastchip »

Hi Imamahon and Thanks for the reply and a follow up question. If the gold is to set lube into the rings only, why not just pack room tempture lube into the rings? What is the advantage of finding a means to melt lube and dip or paint bullets?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

finger lubing is a good way to go , it is just messy and slow. after awhile and with a lot to do , the people that do it differently are speeding things up a bit.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I to use the small brush to lube. only the grooves I melt my lube in a desk top coffee cup warmer.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Michael P Nowak

Post by Michael P Nowak »

:D Hello: I do my lubing in a very different fashion. I melt my lube in a small old tea /water boiling kettle. When the lube is melted I then dip each and every bullet nose first into the mixture. Holding the base of the bullet with an old pair of hot dog tongs. Then I lay the round down on my cooling tray. I do this in lots of 25rds. When cool I then put them into my re-sizing die. (yes very messy with all the extra/spent lube coming off.) Then finally do I get to make = up my paper cartridge(s). Oh yes the melting is done over the gas stove in the kitchen when the wife is at work.LOL. I start dipping when everything in the melting pot is all melted down.
lastchip

Post by lastchip »

I want to "Thank" everyone, whos shared their preferred bullet lubing method. Seems to be as many ways to lube a bullet as there are people lubing bullets. But, I have learned to lube only the rings and it can be done, by packing cold lube into them or painting/dipping bullet into hot lube.
Question: What is the negative effect of having lube on the nose of the bullet?

Post by 4570 »

lastchip

Post by lastchip »

Thanks 4570 for the link to the vid about pan lubing, One more aspect of blackpowder shooting is no longer a vague mystery
Constable Bill Manning

Post by Constable Bill Manning »

I think that if you ask enough people that are shooting competitively that the largest group of them pan lube. I personally use a lubrisizer by melting the lube and pouring it into my RCBS sizer, then run my .458 bullets through a .459 sizing die. Pan lubing if you can make it work for you I think is faster and doesn't have the opportunity to deform the bullet like using a lubrisizer. I never have been able to make pan lubing work while using BPCR lube to my satisfaction and have better results using my lubrisizer.

Read the little blurb on the SPG website on proper use of bullet lube. Lubing for black powder cartridge rifles is different then lubing hard cast pistol bullets. The process is mostly the same but the reasons are a little bit different. Hard cast pistol bullets need lube to reduce leading. BPCR uses lube not only to reduce leading but also to soften the black powder fouling in the bore. Improper care of the lube can affect accuracy so heed the SPG website suggestions.