scope mounts for a military 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Alvin

scope mounts for a military 63

Post by Alvin »

I have a military Farmingdale 50 cal, it has a round barrel, does anyone know if a clamp on front scope mount is available? The front sight seems to be soldered on. I plan on using the sliding mount to keep the strain off the dovetail & front mount. I donot want to drill & tap or cut dovetails, want to keep original, but my tired old bifocal eyes are having fits with the V rear sight. I want my sharps doing the best it can, A scope and quality adjustable peep sights are close in price, so am thinking scope. I do not do alot of target shooting, just enough to ensure a clean harvest shot ; although I must admit, shooting the sharps has become an addiction of pure joy! Any help will be appreaciated, I'm sure I'm not the first to do this.Thanks Again
snapcap14

Re: scope mounts for a military 63

Post by snapcap14 »

If you want to do a peep sight. go to S & S firearms. the sell a blank rear leaf that you can drill a peep into.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

oh yea might whant to check w/ charlie hahn also see what he can come up with.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Thanks for the info, will check into the peep blank, I talked with Hi-Lux tech and he saind that drill & tap was a must since no front dovetail. Nosuch thing as a front clamp on mount.
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

The peep blank for the ladder came Sat. I had to do a bit of sanding to make it fit the ladder on rifle but is fitted, drilled & ready for a buleing job. I was surprised how a peep would clear the front sight up, and a clear sight picture. I did a 3/32 opening, can always make bigger if need be, but seems fine in the yard dry fireing. Thanks again for the tip, a 20 dollar fix is cheap!