Tang sights

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Frank

Tang sights

Post by Frank »

Anyone have a tang sight on a Shiloh 1863 Calvary Carbine .54 cal? If so what make and model sight? Did you have to alter the rifle any?

Frank
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Free_Stater

Re: Tang sights

Post by Free_Stater »

I really can't see any benefit to a tang sight on a carbine. First off, you'd have to drill and tap the tang, which isn't a really big deal, but then you'd either have to content yourself with the original front sight or make some expensive modifications which would quite possibly ruin the resale value of the rifle. Better to opt for a 63 sporter and get it set up from scratch as a target rifle. The carbine--my opinion only--is a brush gun and won't gain anything from modifications to the original configuration.

That said, if you go for a tang sight, I'd try one of the shorter MVA tang setups and get an aperture diameter which would work with the original post as installed.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Free_Stater

The "benefit", a sight 73 year old eyes can use. Open sights are hell on old eyes. The front sight is ok. I checked with Shiloh and the rifle is already tapped for tang sights. Thinking of using the rifle on a Elk hunt and or a Buffalo hunt. The Elk hunt would be in timber country and with out a lot of light I can not find the rear sight fast enough. Even a Marbles or Lyman tang sight will help and I can always use the sight on the many other rifles I have by just changing the base.

Frank
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

I have an MVA on my MR. For the carbine, I would use a Lyman midrange to help with the sight picture.
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR