Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Boy, things have certainly quieted down here. Jay
lmcmahon

Re: 1863

Post by lmcmahon »

Quiet? Almost non-existent.
N-SSA
TW-136
Kaeto1

Post by Kaeto1 »

Seems like hardly anyone is shooting a '63. They all want the ctg guns , as is evidenced by the Shiloh sales site and their lack of supplies for the '63. No more cartridge rolling kits , no more papers. We have to get the stuff from Dixie at twice the price.
Forward The Dinocrome!
lmcmahon

Post by lmcmahon »

You can buy the cardboard tubes from Charlie Hahn to make the cartridges. Think it's 65.00 per thousand tubes. Most of the '63 shooters in the N-SSA use these tubes.
N-SSA
TW-136
Kaeto1

Post by Kaeto1 »

I checked Dixie and they no longer have the rolling papers either. As far as the tubes I have them but I wanted to do a few cartridges that were historically accurate looking.
Forward The Dinocrome!
holdover

Post by holdover »

I still roll a tube every once in awhile, But as easy and accurate Charlies tubes are, they are the way to go. during a season at NSSA between practice and matches I shoot at least 1500 shots, the tubes make it alot quicker reloading for the next match.
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

Not trying to be an omnipitant knowitall but a similar subject came up elsewhere in this forum & several other shooters provided their ideas. Best one I noticed & have tried very successfully is to use paper rolls from desk calculaters. roll is close to correct width, so just cut to length. After a goodly number of rounds fired with both .54 & .50 I can only remember seeing one incident of paper residue found in the chamber.
Works fine for me for practice. I plan on giving Charlie's tubes a try for hunting ammo.
just a thought.
CL
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I do almost the same as holdover. I use charlies for team events and my own for individules and practice.
I've used perm paper adding machine paper. No need to nitrate them find no diffrence. would realy like to try linen as the originals were.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Hi all. ( new member)

I'm from Down Under, Australia Queensland in fact.
I'll be visiting with you folk regularly.
I have very recently ordered a 1863 Sporting Rifle via an Australian Gun Dealer, by law we have to do it this way.

I've been black powder shooting for approx 40 years, my wife reckons ill get over this fad one day. Most of my experience is with front stuffers, Enfields originals and Parker Hale reproductions. Also black powder cartridge in the form of Snider Enfield, Remington Rolling Block, Enfield Martini Henrys. Also I collect and shoot British Military long arms 1853 to 1945 and including their accoutrements.
About 30 years ago I saw a Sharps paper cartridge gun used on a firing line, and, fell in love. It's taken this long but I reckon that I could not go on without owning and enjoying one of these. So I went for the best manufacturer, Shiloh, and did the deed. I've been given an estimated ETA of 14 months.
So in the interim and beyond I'll be asking heaps of questions, I need to know all about the feeding and care of my new baby and I hope sharing with you some of my experiences.

Cheers all
AussiePete
AussiePete

Post by AussiePete »

Hi all. ( new member)

I'm from Down Under, Australia Queensland in fact.
I'll be visiting with you folk regularly.
I have very recently ordered a 1863 Sporting Rifle via an Australian Gun Dealer, by law we have to do it this way.

I've been black powder shooting for approx 40 years, my wife reckons ill get over this fad one day. Most of my experience is with front stuffers, Enfields originals and Parker Hale reproductions. Also black powder cartridge in the form of Snider Enfield, Remington Rolling Block, Enfield Martini Henrys. Also I collect and shoot British Military long arms 1853 to 1945 and including their accoutrements.
About 30 years ago I saw a Sharps paper cartridge gun used on a firing line, and, fell in love. It's taken this long but I reckon that I could not go on without owning and enjoying one of these. So I went for the best manufacturer, Shiloh, and did the deed. I've been given an estimated ETA of 14 months.
So in the interim and beyond I'll be asking heaps of questions, I need to know all about the feeding and care of my new baby and I hope sharing with you some of my experiences.

Cheers all
AussiePete
lastchip

Post by lastchip »

Hello Pete and welcome to the very exclusive club of “Waiting for my 63. Lord, I hope it comes soon” society, I too happen to be a member of this club. Ordered my back in August of last year. It’s a bit of a question mark, when my rifle will be finished, I order mine with a AA finish and double set triggers, both options add extra time to crafting the rifle.
The very sweet lady who seems to single handedly handle all aspect of the front office and communications for the Shiloh company, also seems to be the companies packing and shipping dept. I had e-mailed asking if, they had an idea of a due date for my order. She replied, she had packed and shipped two similar to mine in the past couple weeks and she suggested mine might be ready in a month or two. Which would be a pleasant surprise. But if it takes longer, so be it.

I see you’ve have a bit of history with black powder and some very interesting pieces. My Shiloh,, is my first venture into the black powder realm.
Might have to pick your brain over Martini Henrys one day, I’ve always been fascinated by the long lever model. I happened across a long lever cavalry carbine Martini at a gun show last weekend. It was beautiful, bluing, wood finish in very fine condition, but I don’t know enough about Martinis yet, to pluck down several hundred dollars and claim one.

As for a location to find answers in regards to any questions you will have about Shiloh sharps 63’s, this is the place. Many walking, talking encyclopedias of all things Sharps, lurk about within the board. They have helped me greatly so far, in knowledge in regards to everything from where to find quality bullets to different means of cleaning and care for a 63.

enjoy the day
David
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

You wont go wrong here, top quality, both Farmingdale and Montana. Great shooters. The old bucks aren't flowing as freely now. Happy Easter. Jay Y.