Gas Plate pre-shooting treatment?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
lastchip

Gas Plate pre-shooting treatment?

Post by lastchip »

So my 63 arrived last week and its as beautiful a rifle as I had hoped. As I get to know her and get ready for its first outing, I wanted to ask you fellows. If I should do any prep lube/protection to where the gas plate sits into the block before the gun even taste its first round?

David
Jay Yuskaitis

Re: Gas Plate pre-shooting treatment?

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Just go to the search portion of this section, or, go to page one of the 1863 section, and read it all. You'll be well prepared after this. JY
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi, Just go ahead and shoot it, when you are done clean the bore from breech to muzzle. Take the clean out screw and nipple out of the breech block, use two small screw drivers to pry the gas plate out, use hot soapy water and make sure all holes are clear. Put it all back together putting anti sieze on all parts and you are ready for the next outing.

Kirk
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I use hi pressure hi temp grease fro mcmasters. when assembling it. while shooting I keep a can of pam w/ me. after 15 shots it can get hot and start sticking. my shooting is 5min timed events. on a bad day you can put a lot of rounds down range in 5 min. and we shoot 5 events. that can leave you w/o a lot of time to pull the block clean and reassemle. if the breach and block are hot it can be a problem reassembling. found most times w mine it is heat not fouling that freezes the block.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Fly

Post by Fly »

I have tryed the anti-seize & it works very well.But here of late I'm using lithium wheel bearing grease with moly.
It make the action so nice. :D